Bootcamp Encryption

Sobchak
Contributor

I read on an earlier post on these boards that you could not encrypt both the MAC partition and the Bootcamp partition, but since that post is over two years old I thought I would check if that is still the case.

Also, does anyone know if MAC's have a TPM chip?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Things are still the same - FileVault only encrypts the OS X partition. Macs do not have a TPM chip so if you want to use BitLocker in bootcamp for windows you would need a flash drive plugged in as a substitute for the TPM which is difficult to get users on board with. This is the primary reason we restrict use of BootCamp at the hospital - we aren't able to enforce encryption on the windows partition without investing in a third party encryption solution like Credant.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't know the answer for your first question, but my suspicion is that this is still the case because of how CoreStorage works. OTOH, CoreStorage has advanced a bit in the last few years, so perhaps.

And Macs do not have TMP chips and have not had them for years (a few of the very first Intel based Macs had TMP in them, but Apple quickly stopped shipping them in their units since they weren't making any use of them)

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Things are still the same - FileVault only encrypts the OS X partition. Macs do not have a TPM chip so if you want to use BitLocker in bootcamp for windows you would need a flash drive plugged in as a substitute for the TPM which is difficult to get users on board with. This is the primary reason we restrict use of BootCamp at the hospital - we aren't able to enforce encryption on the windows partition without investing in a third party encryption solution like Credant.

prbsparx
Contributor II

REMOVED.