Cached Packages after install

tmaeda
New Contributor

While not a complete rookie with Casper, I just wanted to confirm what happens when a cached package is installed.

Is it:

a) Sticks around and takes up space on the hard drive, until the unit is re-imaged.
b) is automatically removed from the system.

Thanks in advance

Taigi

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Pretty sure its option b.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

When the package is cached, it's kept in the following location:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room

Also added after the cache is transferred, a file name with the extension of .xml is created in the same location.

When the cached package is installed via a policy, both the pkg and the xml file are deleted.

If you cache package(s), but do not follow up with a policy to install the cached package(s), then you will need to create a policy that deletes the entire Waiting Room or specific files within, which gets to be a burden. (<-edited)

Let say you cache Office Update 14.5.0 but for whatever reason the client doesn't install that cached package. Then you begin cacheing Office Update 14.5.1. You might want to either delete the entire folder if you know you have other stale packages or specifically delete the pkg and xml that were part of the 14.5.0 update.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I apologize if I'm being dense, but @jhalvorson's two sentences seem to contradict each other:

When the cached package is installed via a policy, both the pkg and the xml file are deleted.
You will need to create a policy that deletes the entire Waiting Room or specific files within, which gets to be a burden.

I just successfully cached the Adobe CC suite, and then installed with a second policy, so am very happy with myself. But the Waiting Room still has both files. Which of the above statements are correct? Does it take time to clean up?

I happened to rename the package after it was created, so the package receipt and the cached package names are not the same.

thanks!

chris
experienced jamf iPad admin
jamf mac newbie :)

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@cdenesha Is it possible that your 2nd policy, which I presume is intended to install the cached Adobe CC installer, is using an Install Action rather that an Install Cached Action? Or could your policy that caches the installer be triggered again before your inventory updates to reflect Adobe CC was installed?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@sdagley Hi thanks for your reply. I definitely was doing an Install Cached. And at the time I wrote this, the policy that did the caching was a Run Once.

I'll try with a different package.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Update - Installing from cache DOES clean out the installer! Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I just installed Office 2016 but needed to have a Serializer pkg in the same folder. The installer was deleted but the Serializer was not because it wasn't 'installed' from a policy. So I've got my cleanup policies ready and waiting to be called if necessary. Three SGs, three policies. I'm going with the following naming convention (the first is a SG and the second a Policy, they kind of make an If/Then):

x PackageName 1 - Not Installed
x PackageName 1 - Send to Cache

x PackageName 2 - Cached Not Installed
x PackageName 2 - Install from Cache

x PackageName 3 - Installed Still Cached
x PackageName 3 - Remove from Cache

Once I have some time I'll scour JamfNation to see if there is a better naming convention.

Thanks again @sdagley for jumping in and helping!

chris :)