Caching Server and iOS 10 Clients

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi all

Is anyone seeing issues with iOS 10 clients unable to download apps with a caching server on the same network? (os x server 5.1.7). iOS 9 clients are working fine and the caching server debug.log shows that the actual iOS 10 download is being cached too. But iOS 10 clients keep getting an 'unable to download' error when attempting to download apps from the store. If I turn off caching server, then the iOS 10 clients can download apps fine.

20 REPLIES 20

cpdecker
Contributor III

Any chance the OS X Server.app and server OS versions need to be updated to support iOS 10 caching?

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

We've been having several issues with the caching server lately. It's helped to clear the cache. Possible that an incompatible or corrupted version has been cached but not updated?

plawrence
Contributor II

Unfortunately there are no new versions of OS X Server.app yet. I guess that'll drop when macOS Sierra is released next week.

I tried clearing out the existing cache contents, but it didn't resolve the issue. I'll try again after Sierra is out and see if anything changes.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is running into this issue.

plawrence
Contributor II

Tried upgrading to Sierra today and Server 5.2, but still saw the errors. After excluding our Caching server from our content filter, the errors went away. Looks like some change in the way iOS 10 downloads apps is incompatible with our content filter.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Is anyone having issues with the apps downloading directly from Apple and not via caching server? We're only seeing this in the last few days, and only with Apple apps (iMovie, Garageband especially).

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

No one? Just us?

nnazir
New Contributor

We have the same problem. None of the managed iOS 10 clients are able to download from the caching server. iOS 9 clients and unmanaged iOS 10 clients are fine though.
Upgrading to Sierra didn't help either. Any one has a solution yet?

bcourtade
New Contributor III

Our caching servers do deliver content to iOS 10 devices, though the devices themselves have been erratic about using the caching server over the Internet. It seems pretty 50/50 right now regardless of iOS version.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We have seen a whole host of issues with iOS 10:

1. Restore from iCloud backup was not working when a device was in DEP from a MDM server. It would get to the 'Retrieving Configuration from your Organization' and stop. No error or anything. Apple has acknowledged this as a bug.

2. Managed Apple IDs are not able to login during setup. Have to skip the iCloud screen and login after the iPad setup is done. Annoying but not a show-stopper. Apple knows about it but, just today, sent me an email saying they have it fixed.

3. Apps are not installing on the ipads very consistently. I'm now going to assume that its this Caching server bug after reading this thread. This is with either 10.11 or Sierra servers.

JAMFatJESD
New Contributor

We are experiencing this behavior. After 2 weeks of troubleshooting with Apple they finally came out and informed us that their Caching Server is broken and it is not Caching VPP Apps. I have not seen it cache iOS 10 updates either.

Since it is a know issue, Apple is working on it.

During the troubleshooting, Apple had me upgrade my servers to 5.2 running on El Capitan. There we no favorable changes.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've spoke to some Apple SE's about this.. they said effected people need to log bug reports.

It's with engineering & is being looked at, but the more folks Apple know are affected.. the quicker it might get resolved.

jnpels
New Contributor

Here too, managed iOS 10 clients are unable to download from the caching server, iOS 9 clients are fine.

Mac OS Version: Sierra 10.12
Server Version: 5.2

murph
New Contributor III

We are having this same issue with iOS 10.0.2 and Server 5.2.

I first noticed it started doing this after our caching server went offline that day when lots of people had their caching servers go offline. Since then, our iOS clients do not like to hit the caching server.

Also prior to that, I'm not sure many of our clients were hitting it for device based app updates that were set on our server at 4am. They definitely are not now as our internet spikes at 4am for a hour or longer on big update days, and the caching server graphs show nothing happening during that time.

mbootes
New Contributor II

Has anybody noticed any improvements?
I'm noticing our caching server still doesn't want to serve iOS10 clients.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I'll be testing iOS 10.2b1 with this tomorrow. "When you use MDM to assign an app to a device and install it, it will take advantage of the macOS Caching Server if present."

willjac037
New Contributor II

Caching works for me with iOS 10.2b1.

wsmits
New Contributor II

Caching fine for me with iOS 10.2b1.

JAMFatJESD
New Contributor

I had just heard from Apple that the Beta 10.2 will fix the iOS and App Update issues.

It sure is taking long to fix this issue. I had reported it to Apple since the release of 9.3 when I first noticed it.

stiffx
New Contributor

I have ios 10.2 beta 1 on my phone and it still won't cache if I press Update All or try and update more than one app at a time.

drapp
New Contributor

Caching randomly works for me about 50% of the time on iOS 10.2b4 using Server 5.2.