can see the computer in inventory, but can not see it when I try to scope it for configuration profile

zlu
New Contributor

JSS version 9.12, I can see the computer in inventory, but can not see it when I try to scope it for configuration profile

12 REPLIES 12

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Only managed computers can be added to scope for Configuration Profiles, Policies, Managed Preferences, etc. Just because it shows up in Inventory does;t mean its actually managed.
Check the management information and status for the Mac by looking under the General section in the computer's details.

zlu
New Contributor

double check, the computer is managed....

mmain
New Contributor

We too are experiencing this same issue (some managed computers not showing up in Configuration Profile's Scope), and we are running 9.2. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

Here is a random question, do you have any special characters in your management account password? I know there is an issue where if you have any special characters such as "! @ # $ %" will break management of your computer. You can go into the computer record inside the JSS Web Interface and reset the management password to what it is supposed to be and management will work correctly.

Have you run a "sudo jamf enroll -prompt" to attempt to re-enroll the unit?

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

Take a look at the computer's inventory record to see if it shows up as MDM Capability: Yes. If it doesn't say yes it will not be shown within the scope options. A couple of items that get missed sometimes are that the Computers must have OS X v10.7 or later and a Recovery Partition. Hopefully this information helps.

Thanks,
Joel



bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Joseph.Morris Since when? Is this a v9 thing?

All my clients are managed using a password with some of the characters you've pointed out.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

It is one of those things that has popped up since 8.6.x. We always get caught with it. If you enroll the computer using "sudo jamf enroll -prompt" you should be able to enter in the information as requested in terminal and then go into the computer record in the JSS and just re type your management password without issue. Then it is just a matter of getting the machine to check in.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Joseph.Morris hmmm... I've been using some of those characters across multiple environments since v5, & not had this issue.

We recently updated from 8.61 - 8.73 & all is still ok.

Maybe it's isolated to a particular character?

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

They have said that some characters cause it more than others. At least they have a functional workaround for it. I wish they had a list of characters you can/can't use

pooja_ash_vv
New Contributor II

I have a the same issue. Did you find out an exact solution ?I see my MAC is not managed. What can I do to change it ?

pooja_ash_vv
New Contributor II

Basically , I tried sudo jamf removeFramework to remove it from JAMF.
Now when I enrolled it again with user initiation enrolment , i can see it is unmanaged on JAMF PRO

leslie
Contributor II
Contributor II

If you hadn’t earlier, remove the management account from the machine along with the MDM profile then re-enroll. Or update the management account password on the machine and in Jamf Pro.