Cannot run policies on individual computer

alexhberger
New Contributor

I have a user that I reconfigured a computer for that was previously in use by another employee. The employee taking over the computer did a time machine backup from her old machine, and restored it via the recovery partition, which, in turn, rolled the OS back from 10.11.6 to 10.10.5. I have not been able to get the computer to talk to the JSS since she did this. I have even gone as far as wiping the computer, removing the computer record from AD, and removing the profile from the JSS before re-imaging the computer. Still, when I try to run any policy, the progress stops at "Gathering Information."

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what can be blocking this process from running?

9 REPLIES 9

CapU
Contributor III

A user with enough knowledge to mess your entire day up. I always instruct the techs to just back up the user profile, I don't let the user do anything, then do a Nuke and Pave.

alexhberger
New Contributor

@CapU , we've gone that route to no avail.

jhuls
Contributor III

Look in Console at your logs.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@alexhberger Delete the computer from the JSS & re-enroll.

alexhberger
New Contributor

@bentoms Already did that. An issue that did crop up the same day is the HDD failed, so that may have had some effect.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@alexhberger right. New HDD = New UDID = Device Signature errors when contacting JSS.

Hence deleting from the JSS, removing the framework on the device, then re-enrolling.

alexhberger
New Contributor

@bentoms Understood. I deleted from the JSS and removed the profiles and self service from the user machine prior to the HDD failure (More likely during the infant stages of the errors) and it was still having an issue. It will be reconfigured once it returns, and I will report back if I still have issues.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Hey @alexhberger

To remove the local JSS tools from a Mac, you'd need to do more than removing the profiles and self service.

When you next get your hands on the Mac:
1) Delete the computer record from your Casper Server
2) Either:
a) Complete erase and redeploy the Mac
or
b) run sudo jamf removeFramework to completely remove the local tools
3) re-enrol using your preferred method.

Good Luck!

Darren

alexhberger
New Contributor

@daz_wallace Awesome, thank you!