Casper Admin Packages Read-Only

Not applicable

I am running Casper Suite 7.2 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.2 with a Mac OS X 10.6.2 client trying to run Casper Admin. After I authenticate (either as my self or admin), an error pops up saying, "The Packages folder appears to be read only. Casper Admin is opening in offline mode."

I am still able to mount the CasperShare with casperadmin and can write to said Packages directory. This was a problem that cropped up yesterday (maybe before but I haven't updated packages in two weeks) and I was hoping the 7.2 upgrade would correct the problem. It did not.

Would someone please offer advise on how to correct this Casper Admin opening in offline mode issue?

Thanks,
Tim Winningham
Systems Manager
The Ohio State University

6 REPLIES 6

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi Tim,

JAMF Knowledge Base:-
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/kb/article.php?id=150

Regards,
Karthikeyan M

dderusha
Contributor

Did you try repairing permission on the JSS?

it seems like you have already verified that the caspershare is not mounted prior to launching the Admin.

Dan

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Check permissions for the read/write and read only casper accounts for the master casper server share. If you use ACLs perhaps they got botched. I assume this happens when Casper Admin cannot write to the main casper share, ie copy new packages to it.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I see that when I haven't cleared my kerberos tickets. If you have kerberos
enabled on your machine and on the JSS server, then you are most likely
getting a kerb ticket for yourself that is interfering with the Casper
Admin using the casperadmin account.

I generally open terminal and issue: kdestroy

That fixes it for me.

Steve Wood
Director of IT
swood at integer.com

The Integer Group | 1999 Bryan St. | Ste. 1700 | Dallas, TX 75201
T 214.758.6813 | F 214.758.6901 | C 940.312.2475

Not applicable

We see this all the time. Do you have other mounted servers on the machine
you're trying to launch Casper Admin from?

Try unmounting every mounted server and then re-launching Admin. That works
for us every time. I think it's something with the log-in credentials to the
server.

Bob

Not applicable

Based on the info you all so quickly provided I figured out what changed. Before yesterday I always used a "packaging" computer that is unbound to either our OD or AD (we are headed down the Golden Triangle soon). I am allowing others to add scripts to CasperAdmin, from their own computers, and those computers ARE bound to the kerborized AD/OD.
So with that all being said, it looks like we will have to kdestroy our AD ticket before we touch CasperAdmin? What a pity, but I suppose its simple enough to workaround. Possible feature request someday, eh?

Thanks again and best of luck,
Tim Winningham
Systems Manager
The Ohio State University