Casper Imaging asking for login credentials (NetBoot)

bse_college
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I just updated my JSS to 9.101 and now when I NetBoot is asks for JSS credentials when Casper Imaging automatically opens.

I thought that it must have been a mismatch with the JSS version and Casper Imaging so I created a new AutoCasperNBI but no luck.

The OS for the NetBoot image and the operating system that we are trying to image are both Sierra.

I'm going to be imaging 1200 machines in a few weeks so I need this resolved asap.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance!

10 REPLIES 10

LRZ_Jamf
Contributor

Seen the same issue here too after upgrading to 9.101.
According to the Release notes only this changed:

A JSS user account with the "Casper Imaging - PreStage Imaging and Autorun Imaging" privilege is now required for PreStage imaging and Autorun imaging workflows.
For more information on the permissions required for imaging computers, see the following Knowledge Base article:
Imaging Computer Permission Requirements

So there must be other behavior changes aswell.

lrz/ChrOst

Edit: Also happens when booting from USB.

Asnyder
Contributor III

The only time I don't have to put my credentials in is when I have autorun imaging setup and I've already set them there. I'm assuming it needs the credentials to verify that the person using the program has the permissions to image which is set in the JSS. Maybe there's a way you don't need to input credentials that I just didn't know about.

Brad_G
Contributor II

After the 9.101 upgrade I couldn't figure out why machines configured with Autorun data didn't image automatically when netbooted. There was a new option under the Accounts pane for Casper Imaging I had to check.394da7eaa32f489ea7e4e0cc0f2f6119

RogerH
Contributor II

@bse.hayward.brenton this was added to the 101 release and defaults to checked after upgrading. Just uncheck it and it will go back to its old behavior Its in the security section under computer management in the settings.
de5c03903ca7466b9ced1908abb3cf59

Brad_G
Contributor II

@RogerH yes, forgot about that one as well. Some of these upgrades can catch you by surprise.

bse_college
New Contributor III

Hi folks. Thanks for the responses. All working now!

cybermac
New Contributor II

@RogerH thanx.... this fix our problem. I need no more surprise with every new release.

LRZ_Jamf
Contributor

@RogerH This fixed our problem aswell. Thanks!
This should have been mentioned in the release notes...

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

It was not mentioned in release notes, and the documentation on jamfnation is incorrect. Also, be aware that it will re-enable that check box if we meet the following conditions:
There are no active PreStage imaging configurations (NOTE...we need to stop ignoring activation and expiration dates)
There are no computers with autorun data that have both admin credentials and are set to image automatically.

As long as we don't meet these conditions, the checkbox won't re-check itself.

When the "Require login for PreStage Imaging" security setting is disabled, the JSS checks daily to see if it can be re-enabled and automatically enable it again if the above conditions are met.

That is from Jamf support.

I might just leave a random prestage in there just so it doesn't re-check itself again...(it's done it 3 times so far for us)

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

I've created a Feature Request to leave the setting in tact if anyone else is annoyed that it can re-enable itself.