Casper Remote 9.91 - Unable to NetBoot machine

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

Is anyone else getting this same problem? -

I find a machine in Casper Remote and tell it to reboot and change the startup disk to Netboot, it reboots the machine but it just comes back to a login screen.

Log shows

Blessing NetBoot server (x86)... Creating Reboot Script... Submitting log to https://jss.coventry.ac.uk:8443/ Finished.

I've tried this now on quite a few machine in different sites with different OS version just in case but the same results.
I want to start slowly rolling out a new image but I can't get any machine to the NetBoot servers to image.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mblair
New Contributor III

@amanda.wulff is right. And most time , I find, that disable SIP will help but the Bless command will work.

bless --netboot --server BSDP://IP ADDRESS OF NETBOOT SERVER

This worked for me.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @Crawford ,

Are the computers affected all running 10.11.x by any chance?

If yes, then this is a known issue that we have filed under PI-002042 and adding the bless command to Advanced > Execute Command within Remote will get you around it.

If the affected computers are not running 10.11.x, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager so they can dig into it a bit further, as the issue that we're aware of only affects 10.11.x computers.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mblair
New Contributor III

@amanda.wulff is right. And most time , I find, that disable SIP will help but the Bless command will work.

bless --netboot --server BSDP://IP ADDRESS OF NETBOOT SERVER

This worked for me.

Retrac
Contributor

I have a similar issue but nothing back from my post a few weeks ago.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=19387

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

@amanda.wulff Thanks for the input - yes I'm getting the issue on 10.11.x but also getting it with 10.10x
I will raise a support call as suggested.

Thanks.

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

@mblair Thank you for the Bless command, unfortunately I can't get that to work either (must be something I'm doing wrong)

Using Casper Remote I told the machine in question to restart and then entered the Bless command into the Advanced > Execute Command section but again the machine just did a standard reboot.

I double checked the IP of the server using the 'host' command in terminal to resolve the name to IP just to make sure I had it correct.

MattCrawford
New Contributor III

@mblair Got it now :)

Used ARD to send the Bless command as root, once done sent the machine a reboot command and I got the NetBoot server.
Thanks for the help!

bsuggett
Contributor II

Hi All,

Something to be aware of using Casper Remote.

It's important to note that within "Restart" tab there is a "Startup Disk" option. By default, its always set to "Current Startup Disk" which will always bless the currently booted OS every time negating what your trying to achieve.

bded7e7235864800ba3c3731bd5f1707

In order to get Casper remote to do what your asking, you need to change the above setting to "Currently Selected Startup Disk (No Bless)" every time you open a new Casper Remote window.

839fbdfae3664d53b109621ff8816ae4