Casper Remote Failing to deploy Parallels

krichterjr
Contributor

I'm having an issue deploying the most recent version of (Parallels Desktop v8.0.18483.860857). This pkg was created following Mass Deployment guide provided by Parallels as this activates out Enterprise license with their server in the process.

I've now narrowed it down to only being an issue with Casper Remote. I've tested installing the pkg on a machine locally (worked), then deploying it with Apple Remote Desktop (worked), and finally by creating a policy to have it pushed via an every15 trigger and Self Service (both worked). The only one that fails is Casper Remote.

When I use Casper Remote it copies the pkg and then starts installing. Almost immediately it goes to 89% and will hang there forever. Eventually, I'll stop the session and try opening Parallels. Parallels will either open to the Activation screen OR it will attempt to open and hang.

I'm not sure how deployment via a policy vs Casper Remote differs other than Casper Remote initiates a SSH session. Is Casper Remote using http to copy files and run scripts? The policy we have that works is Forcing the use of AFP/SMB. I guess I'll test turning off "Force Distribution Points to use AFP/SMB instead of HTTP" with my Self Service Policy to see if it fails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Have you tried forcing AFP/SMB and caching before installing? Would need to set up a policy and trigger using Casper Remote.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

krichterjr
Contributor

I have tried caching with Casper Remote then running Casper Remote to install the cached file and the same thing happens. When I run it as a policy it is forced to use AFP/SMB and that works. In Casper Remote it looks like it is set to "Install CLI Applications Using: HTTP". I'll try changing it to SCP and see if that makes a difference.

myronjoffe
Contributor III

I couldnt get it to work using Remote. It only worked for me using Self Service or a policy.

krichterjr
Contributor

So changing Casper Remote to use SCP did not make a difference (it still fails). Changing the Policy to NOT force AFP/SMB also did not make a difference (it still works).

So this leads me to believe it has something to do with the account that is running the install script. Looking at the install.log file I'm seeing this in the beginning of the install.

'/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels Service' - incorrect permissions (0755)'

Is Casper Remote using the Management Account to install or is it using root to run the installer? Is it the same process if it is run as a Self Service policy? I feel like I'm getting closer....

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Switch to VMware Fusion 5.

(LOL...that's a hint for Craig Peterson [VMware uber-engineer] to pop his head in the door.)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

krichterjr
Contributor

So Jamf and I have been continuing to work on this and still haven't figured out why it works as a policy but not Capser Remote. I did just find it works with Casper Remote if no one is logged into the computer (left at the login screen).