Catalina updates stuck on Apple logo progress bar?

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

macOS Catalina is currently still supported by Apple (update 2022-002 for it came out just a few days ago). However, we're having trouble on some of our Macs in getting this installed.

Specifically what I'm seeing is that if I try to install it on my staff Mac Mini, it restarts and then gets stuck on the Apple logo progress bar screen with the progress bar at maybe 10%.

• Pressing Cmd+L doesn't get me an estimated time
  • Leaving it overnight doesn't change the situation
  • After leaving it for a while, a mouse pointer is visible and Caps Lock on the keyboard works (i.e. the machine is not unresponsive)

How do I troubleshoot this? Is there a log file I can look at? Or alternatively is there a way to enable verbose mode for every reboot, so I can see messages coming up instead of staring at a meaningless progress bar screen?

If I can't get this to work, is there a way to get a version of the macOS Catalina installer that includes the latest 2022-002 update with it, so I can just wipe and reinstall with that?

3 REPLIES 3

sirsir
Contributor

I've found that if you're installing any other updates alongside the Security Update, it won't go through. As a workaround I make sure Safari and the Device Support Updates are run first (separately) and then run the Security Update. Seems to happen regardless of model (have verified on Mac Mini, MacBook Air.)

@sirsir so yesterday I installed the Safari update, in the hopes that the security update would then automatically install overnight. However when I came in this morning, what I got was a black screen with a mouse pointer. Bizarrely, I can bring up the Force Quit window with Cmd-Option-Esc, but there's nothing in it - Finder's not even running. Is there a proper way to get out of this situation? I normally just force power off by holding down the power button.

I don't know if theres a proper way, but I usually SMC reset it and/or hold the power button down.