CCT Study Materials

juicedaninja
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the website and trying to take CCT training on November.
I just wanted to see if I could get training materials in advanced so that I could read and overview before actual training starts.
Do anyone have suggestions or have study materials I could look into?
Thank you

28 REPLIES 28

scottb
Honored Contributor

If you look at this page you'll see the JAMF training policies. We are not allowed to share any of the materials, but I would say to look at all the guides that JAMF has posted here and just pay attention in class. Having time on the JSS is also very helpful.

Read posts here - I do for things I may never even see as it helps to understand how things work and how those who know more tackle issues. I honestly think that if you do the above you'll be fine.

Good luck!

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

Hi @juicedaninja

My advice is...

• Be familiar with operating a Mac and an iOS device. Know how to navigate the Finder, where the Applications folder is, where the iOS settings app is... basic user stuff.
  • Be familiar with the general concept of client/server systems. Know when you're accessing a server and be able to differentiate work done on a server from work done on the local computer.

The CCT is designed to have no hard prerequisites, but in my experience, some people interpret "Basic OS X and iOS familiarity" rather broadly. There's a difference between "having used a Mac" and "having a basic understanding of how Macs work." If you have the latter, you'll do well.

I hope this is helpful.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I would second everyone's post on here. I showed up for my CCA with nothing other than my years as a Mac admin in general and a desire to learn how to master what was a new product for me.

I showed up to CCE training with only a year or so experience with Casper in general and held my own though I appreciate that I had very good instructors and the privilege of having Kevin White taking the class alongside me. He writes Apple's Training manuals for certifications at Apple. Having his brain to pick as a fellow colleague was great.

Don't be too nervous, but do pay attention to what @milesleacy is speaking about...there is a difference between "Hey I played on a Mac yesterday and it didn't stink" or "Hey I just bought my first Mac and am now our company's Mac expert because I did." Know how you do basic things on the machine and where the controls are and what they do on a stock Mac.

You will learn a lot and leave training with a much wider knowledgebase. I will also encourage you to not necessarily put too much stock in the books. While they are extremely well-written, focusing on learning, listening to what you are being taught and doing all the lab work is going to be what rounds out your knowledgebase. When taking the test, remember what you learned but focus on your skills as a problem solver. I will share that JAMF's instructors like to be "real-world" with their test questions and like scenarioes that real admins face.. Be able to respond to a scenario using standard problem solving as well as what you learned.

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

To build on what @blackholemac said about problem-solving...

This is an important element of the JAMF Software certification process that I hope never changes. Exams are practical; you have to do the work, not just regurgitate what the instructor said in class. The exams are more about applying knowledge than knowing facts about the product. This is why all exams are open book. You're free to look up the knowledge. Your ability to apply the knowledge and get the job done using the product is what's really at issue during exams.

Of course, you should be able to remember some things. Exams are timed, and if you have to look up everything, you'll quickly run up against the clock.

juicedaninja
New Contributor

Thanks for the tips.
one quick question, do you need to know the OS X to have better understand of Casper?

scottb
Honored Contributor

@juicedaninja - I would say it helps a lot. We had a couple Windows-only guys in our CCT class and they did have some trouble. Since the exam is timed and practical, it certainly helps to know OS X well.
Not saying you have to - some folks can learn something new quickly - but I highly recommend it.
I know that if I had to take something similar on the Wintel platform, I would not be nearly as comfortable at this stage.

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

The CCT is meant to provide basic OS X & iOS management information as well as how to take those management concepts into the Casper Suite to perform the same task on dozens to thousands of devices.

It would be fair to say, the better you know the operating systems involved, the better you'll do. I have also seen people with little Apple knowledge but significant IT knowledge and a flexible mind do very well.

"Knowing which button to push is not as important as knowing why it needs to be pushed." © 2015 Miles Leacy :)

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@juicedaninja

without a doubt yes...Casper is a management framework for OS X and iOS at it's heart. While Casper is a 100% excellent management product, having it and knowing it well doesn't negate the need for real knowledge about what is being managed. I would take some time to work on some Macs or iPads as a user for a brief time and get familiar with it personally.

From a tech perspective, I would take some time to get to know the OS installer, get to know how to bind a machine, how to install software from both the GUI and command line, I would know how each of the system prefs function. I would know how to add peripherals. I would learn where to get info about your Mac. I would learn how permissions and such work and how to change them. I would learn where files live in the file tree. This is at a bare minimum. Sure, you can probably learn a lot at training, but actually using the product and being an admin on your own Mac is what will teach you the most.

blackholemac

juicedaninja
New Contributor

I have took the class last week, and passed CCT. yay!
it was easy enough to understand how it works during class time.
all I did was go to class and listen, without any extra studying time. :)

but one question, under people's name, I see CCT,CCA,CCE etc.
how do I get CCT for my account?

triding
New Contributor III

@juicedaninja Well done!

It will appear eventually as long as the email you have your JAMFNation account is the same as the email you filled in on the short webform at the end of the course. You can always ask your JAMF account manager as well, they can sync the two email accounts up for you.

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone!

I find this discussion very helpful. i'll be going to Singapore to take CCT this coming July 25-28, 2016. wish me luck! :)

Thank You!
-Robert

scottb
Honored Contributor

Good luck, @RobertAlviar . You'll do great. Just pay attention, have fun, and listen. See you when you get the CCT under your avatar...

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Read the Casper Admin Guide. and all of the other Casper guides. Sit in the front. Listen. Participate.

RandonR
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Great ideas everyone!

One other resource that we made available a few months ago is the CCT Course Preparation Guide. You can find it on the CCT page under the Prerequisites section.

Additionally, here is the direct link.

Hope that helps!

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

I passed!

thank you @ASippl & @Rusty !

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

I passed!

thank you @ASippl & @Rusty !

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@RobertAlviar

I passed!

Pfffttt...only 98%. What the heck happened? Did you forget to study?

justkidding - congratulations!

--
https://donmontalvo.com

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

thank you @donmontalvo !

scottb
Honored Contributor

Congrats, @RobertAlviar!

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

thank you @scottb :)

by the way, how long should i wait for me to get the CCT Badge?

scottb
Honored Contributor

@RobertAlviar It took me one day, but I think it's been slower lately.
The shirt took about 6 weeks.

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

thank you @scottb :)
hopefully my much awaited Badge shows up LOL. it's been a week since i got certified :)

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

i got the Badge!!! :)

scottb
Honored Contributor

You're in the club now. Congrats Robert.

Not applicable

randonruggles

I believe the link you have provided is invalid.

I'm quite familiar with using the GUI for all aspects of installing OS, installing apps, binding to AD, navigating the file tree, ...
Where I lack knowledge is CLI and scripting. Do I need this information before the class? I would hate to spend that kind of $ and feel unprepared/not ready.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@atomczynskid205 The CCT course isn't heavy on scripting, so I wouldn't worry about it. The Jamf instructors are very responsive to questions, so if you did run into something that you had problems with I'm sure they'd work with you on it.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@atomczynskid205 - have not taken any other classes yet as we're trying to get a new Pass. That said, the CCT was not a scripting class, but it did show you how to use some basic provided scripts (time server, etc) and gave some good, basic Terminal overview.
I've heard from colleagues that the CCA now has more scripting in it, so I need to get myself ready for that.
You should not worry about being a scripting god to get a CCT. Best of luck.