Ceremony (next-gen SplashBuddy)

bmarks
Contributor II

Has anyone tried out this new Ceremony product? I have a solid SplashBuddy workflow, but I am having a hard time getting started with Ceremony using their sparse setup docs. Does anyone know of any other resources?

11 REPLIES 11

Randydid
Contributor II

Following.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

It’s not that the documentation is sparse, it’s that it is dense. Read closely, experiment with parameters, and above all remember that the authors’ first language is French so some things might get lost in translation. It’s a great app with a ton of potential.

tomt
Valued Contributor

The author was a guest on this week's MacAdmin Podcast.

MacAdmins Podcast

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I've tried and just got overwhelmed with the documentation. It needs a QuickStart at the very least and maybe to get broken up a bit more into more bitesized chunks.

I need to update our splash buddy stuff, but since SB is basically retired for Ceremony I don't want to put a lot of effort into something I will need to replace sooner rather than later. But the Ceremony and IBM tools are both really powerful (potentially) but complicated to setup compared to SB.

djdavetrouble
Contributor III

I was able to move my splashbuddy workflow pretty easily to Depnotify, which has the added benefit of jamf support and development.

j_garcia
New Contributor

I've set up a proof of concept workflow for my environment it was pretty simple to coppy other sample ones they include in the zipped archive. I also went to the ceromony slack channel for some help.

make sure if you're testing/configuring you open up the on going tail logs, i belive its tail -f /your/ceremony/log/file

that helps you troubleshoot what part of you plist is causing errors to occur.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I am probably biting off more than I can chew. Perhaps if I break up my workflow into replicating SB first, and then expanding to incl user input stuff like machine names and stuff that may work better...

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We do have Ceremony in place in our production environment, i work very closely with the developers so if you need any guidance feel free to ask or dm me on #slack txhaflaire or join #ceremony on slack.

Cheers!

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Loving the features available in Ceremony... is there a sample script similar to one that jamf has for DEPnotify to help configure?

Bigby_Woody
New Contributor

Hello ! I just joined the Jamf nation. Just a post to tell you that I'll work on writing some tutorials on Ceremony when the Pro version will be released. Meanwhile, you can find presets in the folder that you can download from our website.

Tigerhaven
Contributor

We just built our Zero touch process to build Mac using Ceremony. Its in UAT. going in production soon. Great product @Bigby_Woody

Kunal V