Change default inventory collection policy

carlito
New Contributor II

According to Jamf's documentation,

"By default, inventory is collected from computers using the “Update Inventory” policy that is created automatically when you install Jamf Pro. This policy collects inventory from all computers once every week.

You can make changes to the default inventory collection policy at any time. In addition, if you want more control over inventory collection, you can create additional inventory collection policies as needed."

I've been looking through the settings, and I see where I can change the frequency of check-ins, but I can't see how to change the frequency of inventory collection for computers without creating a new policy.

Do I just need to create a new policy or is there a way to do this in settings?

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

By default it’s named “Update Inventory” just as mentioned in the Jamf article. It would be in the Policies section of Jamf Pro and I think is not in any category. Because it’s the first policy created by Jamf on setup and there are by default, no categories when you first start to use it.

So I’d look in Policies for it. It should be there unless it was removed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270

You have to change that in the policy Jamf references. It’s not controlled by the settings. Only what inventory gets collected and what the default check in time frame (5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc) are in settings. The frequency is in the policy itself.

carlito
New Contributor II

Thank you @mm2270 . Where is that policy? I can't seem to find it. We're on Jamf Cloud if that makes a difference.

mm2270

By default it’s named “Update Inventory” just as mentioned in the Jamf article. It would be in the Policies section of Jamf Pro and I think is not in any category. Because it’s the first policy created by Jamf on setup and there are by default, no categories when you first start to use it.

So I’d look in Policies for it. It should be there unless it was removed.

carlito
New Contributor II

I found it. Someone must have renamed it. It's set to do Update Inventory at check-in. Is it just me, or does that seem too frequent? I was thinking maybe once every few days, or at most once a day. Every check-in seems like it could be too much, right?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlito Yes, every check-in is generally much too frequent for running a recon. Once a day would be more reasonable.

carlito
New Contributor II

Thank you @sdagley. It looks like I misread the policy. The trigger is check-in, but the frequency is once per day. So I think we're good. Thanks all!