Change file syslog file retention?

chafe
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to change the retention policy in terms of some of the log files or even files in general? I did my research and from what i can see its stored at "/etc/asl.conf" where from there a line indicates the below.

# Rules for /var/log/system.log
> system.log mode=0640 format=bsd rotate=seq compress file_max=5M all_max=50M

How have you all gone about editing this to include ttl=etc I want to make this change due to the CIS suggestion in Jamf Protect. What do you all think? 

3 REPLIES 3

chafe
New Contributor III

This change would have to be org wide so i am trying to avoid manually changing each file per computer since it only affects 1 machine at a time. 

Lebsack
New Contributor

Maintaining Linux system log files in a proper manner that helps the administration of the system. In this article, you will learn how to set the Linux system log rotation using logrotate command that can be an application log or system logs. Log files grow day by day and it will be continuing the same log files for a long time, by default newly installed Linux system already have standard rotation policy but it is only for system further application log files store as per instructions of that particular application program.

Upsers

chafe
New Contributor III

Its for Mac? And what article are you talking about?