Changing default save format in Office 2008 (regarding Re: MS Office 2008 configuration)

Not applicable

I have some thoughts about changing the default save format for Office 2008 and just wanted to see what other people think.

I've decided to leave the default format for Office 2008 as openxml (docx, etc). I decided that the more openxml documents are floating around, the better, since it will force people who might not have Office 2008 to download the free converter. This way, they will be able to open all document types and I feel that they will be less confused when the time comes, inevitably, that they will receive office 2008 documents.

I've put together mass mailings (UWSP Message of the Day) stating that if you can't open a document that there is a new tool that I've deployed that will allow you to convert it. And since we have a campus wide license for Office 2008, if anyone still has Office 2004 and doesn't want to deal with conversions, they should contact me so I can push Office 2008 to their machines.

I think that having one standard file type for documents is the ideal solution, and that OpenXML documents are an inevitable switch. In my opinion, trying to fend off OpenXML will only perpetuate the confusion of having two different file types, and I think, in my situation, that embracing that change will make things easier in the long run.

I have to say that since we deployed Office 2008 last spring/summer, having left the default file type as Office 2008, I haven't heard any complaints or questions about handling the file types. Granted, I don't work first tier support, so they were probably all fended off at the help desk.

I'm not trying to say that a plan to change the default file type is a bad one. And I know that every environment is different. I'm just curious to hear what other people, many of which probably have more experience than me in this field, think about this topic. I'm always interested in good discussions.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

2 REPLIES 2

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I completely agree with your points, but I don't trust users to act in, or
even know what is in, their best interests.
For clarification, using the older office file formats as defaults isn't an
effort to resist change. It's an effort to reduce calls of "Bob sent me the
critically-important document for the big meeting and the stupid computer
you gave me couldn't open it, so we lost the account/the paper was
late/we're going out of business."

Once everyone (or at least a clear majority, including all VIPs) is using MS
Office 2008 for Mac, 2007 for Windows or Open Office, then I'll recommend
defaulting to OpenXML.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

Not applicable

I think that makes sense. In our situation we ran a fairly successful effort to get everyone up to 07/08 last summer, so I don't really have to worry about that as much, granted I'm still doing the upgrades (just did one yesterday, and another today).

My attitude to this issue was to make sure that the converter was my top priority when 08 came out, then once that was deployed I made my best effort to inform everyone that it was there and how to use it. Not to sound cold, but from that point on it was their responsibility. Of course we still offer support if someone needs help using the converter, but I made it clear that we provide the tools, and whether you use them or not is up to you.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu