Anyone seeing this error on devices not running Mojave. It seems like every user that gets the Chrome update can no longer use Chrome unless they are running Mojave. Upgrading to Mojave resolves the issue, but we have a large number of devices on Sierra and High Sierra.
I'm using a script to download the newest version and install it. I was using a config profile to ensure that Google Autoupdate worked, but I removed that when I started seeing problems. I'm assuming it has something to do with that, but it's weird that upgrading to mojave resolves the issue, but uninstalling, downloading directly, and re-installing doesn't fix the issue. I'm digging to see what changes in the plist because of the config profile, but I can't imagine that would prevent Chrome from working on older OS releases.