Chrome on iOS- Manage default settings .JSON?

cruess
New Contributor III

Here's the scenario:

In our school district, we now have over 400 student use shared ipads. The problem is, that the kids are just not logging into Chrome, thus, not getting the restrictions/safe search etc.

On Windows machines, I can push out the default settings via ADMX template and GPO. On OSX/Linux you can do it with a .JSON file. The Chromebooks require a domain account to login, so it isn't an issue.

Google Education Support told me there is no way to do it for iOS. This, I just cannot believe or accept. There has to be a file on the iPad telling Chrome what default settings to use, without a user signed in- just as it does in every other OS.

Anyone have experience with this? Can I send a custom .JSON file from JAMF somewhere? Any idea where the settings file for Chrome resides on an iPad??

I can't be alone in this... right?

4 REPLIES 4

bumbletech
Contributor III

There's support for managed configurations in iOS (basically a plist/xml), but the developer has to build the app to support it.

So, it's totally supported in iOS, but probably not in the way that Google wants it.

cruess
New Contributor III

@jbourdon Hey, that's a place to start!! I believe actually there's a way to convert Chrome's preferred .JSON to an acceptable form of XML.. At least I seem to remember reading about it somewhere.. I'll poke around a bit and report.. Thanks.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

Is there an update on this? According to this link Google used to support App Configuration but no longer does??

thanks,

chris

listec
New Contributor III

I would be interested to know if this works yet.