Clear Passcode command still in pending

lfriedo
New Contributor III

We have an iPad that has been sitting unused since November while the employee it was assigned to was laid off for the winter (we are a construction company and have a lot of seasonal layoffs).  The user is ready to start back up for this season but can't remember his passcode.  We issued the clear passcode command but there are several commands including the clear passcode that are stuck in pending.  The iPad is on LTE with Verizon.  The only WiFi it was ever connected to had it's password changed a while ago and one of the pending commands is the one to push the new WiFi information out to it so connecting it to WiFi appears to not be an option.  We have tried several incorrect passcodes and have been locked out several times, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes and now 1 hour.  Has anyone had this happen or have any suggestions on what to do?  We don't care if it resets itself and we can start from scratch but it seems it needs to get it unlocked to have the pending commands pushed to it that are waiting.  Can I clear all the commands other than the clear passcode?  If so how would I get those commands to push to the iPad again?

The pending commands for this iPad are currently:

DeclarativeManagement from 12/7/23

Install Configuration Profile WiFi from 4/4/24

Update Inventory from 11/3/23

Clear Passcode from today

Settings - Mobile Device Application Attributes from 3/4/24

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lfriedo
New Contributor III

We left the iPad after it locked again and said it would be locked for 3 hours.  All the pending commands eventually went through last evening and I received a notification that the iPad had no passcode set (which is a condition I have set to notify about when this occurs).  When I checked on it this morning all the pending commands now show as completed and we were able to get into it and set the passcode to something we now know.  I'm not sure why the commands took so long to go through but we are all set now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If the iPad is not checking in (ie does not have a good network connection, the MDM profile is corrupt or expired, etc) it won't get any MDM commands you send.

Assuming the Verizon service is not working, and the Wi-Fi network credentials are no longer valid I'm going to assume it can't communicate with JAMF. Your only real option is to DFU mode restore the iPad. If you knew the password you could use an ethernet adapter (providing its not blocked with a configuration profile), but without knowing the password it must be wiped and setup again.

tkalvelage
New Contributor II

Would it work for the ipad to be connected to the LAN that the JSS is 'communicating on"?  with an adapter ?

lfriedo
New Contributor III

We left the iPad after it locked again and said it would be locked for 3 hours.  All the pending commands eventually went through last evening and I received a notification that the iPad had no passcode set (which is a condition I have set to notify about when this occurs).  When I checked on it this morning all the pending commands now show as completed and we were able to get into it and set the passcode to something we now know.  I'm not sure why the commands took so long to go through but we are all set now.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

I'm glad the commands were finally deployed via the cell network.

We use an ethernet cable to get our Wifi-only iPads onto the network when this happens. The newest iPads just use a USB-C to ethernet adapter, the older ones use a "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" and an ethernet to USB-A (and a power cube/cord). Note that it is possible there will be a message (that you cannot respond to) asking whether you want the accessory to connect. That is why all our profiles (proactively) have this restriction: "Restrict" "USB restricted mode". (If Restricted (false) allows the device to always connect to USB accessories while locked)

chris