client software?

mqh777
New Contributor

what needs to be installed on all of our Mac machines so they can communicate with Casper? And if a Mac does not have this client software can it be Pushed from the Casper Server?

I know SCCM from Microsoft and it can read AD and then see machines and then auto-push the SCCM client. Can Casper do the same? If not how do you get the client on your Mac's?

5 REPLIES 5

talkingmoose

User Casper Remote. It can scan a network of Macs that have SSH enabled (required) and use the user name and password you supply to connect, inventory and have the machine phone home to the JSS.

Otherwise, you can create a QuickAdd package that you can push over the network or double-click. It will do the same thing.

mqh777
New Contributor

I'm in the Remote tools now. Under All Computers it is set to POLL ever 5 min but we only see 5 machines. How/where do I setup the Scan?

pbenham
Contributor

I think he actually meant for you to use the Recon app.
I would suggest reading the documentation for it found on the Jamf website - http://www.jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/products/documentation/Recon_Suite_8.6_Documentation.pdf Start on page 76...

talkingmoose

Sorry, yes, I meant Recon.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

SSH needs to be enabled on the Macs you target with your Recon network scan in order for the app to push the management framework tools to it. If SSH is not already enabled on the Macs you'll have a tougher time pulling them under management using that method.

In that case, you could just go the manual QuickAdd.pkg route, or, if you have Apple Remote Desktop already in place, push the QuickAdd package that way.