Clients Dropping out of Static Groups

m_donovan
Contributor III

Has anyone experienced computers just dropping out of static groups but remaining in a smart group? I am working to encourage our site admins to use static groups for organizing labs who's population does not change. One argument they have for not using static groups is that computers will just drop out of a static group while remaining in a smart group. I have never seen this happen and have always used static groups for my labs and mobile carts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

No, I've never seen this, and I doubt its possible. Even when a Mac is re-imaged, it lands back in the same Static Groups it was previously in since the JSS uses the hardware information to identify it. This is assuming the Mac record isn't being deleted from the JSS. If the record is removed and the Mac gets added back in later, then yes, it can actually fall out of the Static Group. Hopefully the records aren't being deleted each time a machine is reset up or re-imaged though, since that's really not necessary.
The only other case of falling out of a Static Group (without human intervention) would be if the Mac had a motherboard replacement or some other major hardware repair done and was later re-enrolled into your JSS.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

No, I've never seen this, and I doubt its possible. Even when a Mac is re-imaged, it lands back in the same Static Groups it was previously in since the JSS uses the hardware information to identify it. This is assuming the Mac record isn't being deleted from the JSS. If the record is removed and the Mac gets added back in later, then yes, it can actually fall out of the Static Group. Hopefully the records aren't being deleted each time a machine is reset up or re-imaged though, since that's really not necessary.
The only other case of falling out of a Static Group (without human intervention) would be if the Mac had a motherboard replacement or some other major hardware repair done and was later re-enrolled into your JSS.

m_donovan
Contributor III

Thanks, That was my thinking on it. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird glitch out there I had run into.