Composer 10.28 - Couldn't communicate with a helper application

snowfox
Contributor III

Hi All,
I've never had a problem before using composer to package apps until version 10.28. When packaging a drag and drop app such as Krita or Blender, Composer has started displaying this error message during the 'Build as PKG' build process - Couldn't communicate with a helper application.

I've never seen this before, it's doing it on a clean install of Catalina 10.15.7 and on a different machine with an upgrade to Big Sur 11.2.3.

It will package VLC successfully but not Krita or Blender.
It will create DMGs ok for all three.

All three are given the same owner/group & permissions before creating a new PKG. Root, Admin and 755.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and were you able to resolve it?
Thanks for any info!

4e4c771939ca4f07a51c57a19a181dfc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Reiven
New Contributor II

I was having the same issue. I checked the online manual and found that they added a new Preference for executable type I found that to be causing the issue. I can only hazard a guess that it is not detecting the executable type correctly. I went into Preferences and changed "Executable Types in PKGs:" to "One or More executables require Rosetta" from "Automatically detect executable types" it fixed the error.
119de55680e7482fb179735028df57b0

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Reiven
New Contributor II

I was having the same issue. I checked the online manual and found that they added a new Preference for executable type I found that to be causing the issue. I can only hazard a guess that it is not detecting the executable type correctly. I went into Preferences and changed "Executable Types in PKGs:" to "One or More executables require Rosetta" from "Automatically detect executable types" it fixed the error.
119de55680e7482fb179735028df57b0

Hayden_Webb
New Contributor III

Thank you!

EXP_SimonF
New Contributor II

it's now a year later, Jamf is up to 10.35 and this is still an issue. Thank you very much for this solution - worked a treat on my M1 Pro!

And another 6 months later with 10.39  it is still a 'thing'.

The fix works perfectly, thanks.

efarjami
New Contributor II

Many Thanks 😊 

jordan_m1
New Contributor III

Late reply but thank you! I've been beating my head against a Stata 17 package build for days. Finally got it!

a bit late but how did you create the stata 17 and activation package in composer without it failing? i havent been able to figure it out!

benedyv1
New Contributor II

thank you that helped me a lot!!!

Thank you for this. Fixed my issue with 10.42.0 as well.

snowfox
Contributor III

Many thanks @reiven
That worked. Looks like the auto detect isn't detecting intel and universal binaries properly.

Kapil
New Contributor III

@Reiven You save my day... Thanks a lot Buddy

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

@Reiven this worked for us thanks so much!

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

got the same error and just made the same change in Composer and now it looks to be processing and just completed.

joshuaaclark
Contributor

Ditto. Thanks-a-lot!!!

chrisB
Contributor II

Thumbs up - thanks!

david_yenzer
Contributor II

Thanks! We are digging into M1s now and that was literally a 60 second fix for our issue!

Ekachai
New Contributor

Thanks!

Cyberbof
New Contributor II

Thanks, resolved my problem with Composer

ddougla2
New Contributor II

Yes!  thank you spent a day trying to figure it out thinking it was my pacakge contents. 

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

Thank you for this. Still seems to be the fix in 2022 with Composer v.10.40.0

fai5al
New Contributor

@Reiven you saved my day. Cheers mate!

SPSpy
New Contributor

Still an issue on 10.41 and this is still the fix.  Thank you!!

summoner2100
Contributor

Glad I found this post. Still an issue on 10.42.1 and on a Ventura client. lol 

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Worked for me on 10.44.1 and Ventura client. Oddly, this didn't happen before when I tried to package the same stuff. Started today.

pdamasco
New Contributor

This fix worked for me. I was experiencing this issue when packaging Krita today on an M2 Max-enabled MacBook pro. Using composer 10.48.1

Zelto
New Contributor

On composer 10.49.0. This is still an issue, and the fix still works.

rivive
New Contributor

This worked for me as well!

sousap
New Contributor

Thank you! Weird how this hasn't been patched yet.

orales
New Contributor

Thank you very much.You`ve been very helpful.

user-ohpwZciZUM
New Contributor

Thank you so much, you've been a great help

bwerner
New Contributor

Thanks  a lot! It fixed my problem with gimp 2.10.36 (apple chips).