Composer: APFS & HFS

vickih
Contributor

Either Im really slow to catch on, or missed the memo. Using current version 10.6.2 of Composer I discovered that it will now ask which filesystem do you want to create a DMG / PKG on APFS/HFS.

Silly me, wasn't paying attention to the Filesystems I was testing on APFS and most Macs I will be deploying to are HFS. My APFS systems was deploying the DMG beautifully other than ejecting after install and my other system was getting an empty application placeholder.

I went back through and recreated a DMG and I was prompted on creating using APFS or HFS. Thats when I decided to look at the Testing Macs I was using and discovered the difference. Luckily it worked when I created a DMG using HFS.

Does anyone know of a way to create a script that can check which filesystem structure the Mac is on and then apply the appropriate DMG/PKG? I honestly, havent looked I just realized this today. I know APFS is not backwards compatible. I havent checked to see if the HFS DMG will install on an APFS. Guess that will be my next test.

1 REPLY 1

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

HFS will work on all drive formats. It's probably best to stick to using that for now until at least 10.14 when APFS will be the default filesystem.