Computer Lab Usage Reporting

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi all

I would like to be able to leverage the data in Casper to obtain some information about the usage patterns of our computer labs on campus. Each computer record has logs for login/logout events, which would be a good starting point for when a computer is used.
I was hoping to be able to run a report on a group of computers and see the number of logins in a certain time period (e.g. Between 9:00am and 9:50am).

The next step would be to also do something similar for the Application Usage logs to find out what the labs are primarily being used for.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I could go about collating this information? Does some other third party software exist that can do this for me?

5 REPLIES 5

a_simmons
Contributor II

Hello Patrick,

I know its an old log but were you able to create a search on login/logout and total usage for computer usage in a lab between a certain time frame? I am wanting to do something similar.

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi @a.simmons

This thread is a blast from the past. To solve our problem we ended up commissioning someone to write up a system that pulled the usage data out of the JSS database and then displayed it in the format that we required. Sadly, I couldn't find a way to do what I needed in just the JSS.

NPU-Casper
New Contributor III

@plawrence Blast from the past keeps coming up : )

We are in this boat and wondering who you ended up commissioning to do this? You can direct email as well mgvillanueva@northpark.edu

Thanks!
Marc V

NPU-Casper
New Contributor III

FYI, we are looking at a product called https://labstats.com/ and looks like it can do what we want in terms of showing us data on computer usage both general physical usage, as well as app specific usage.

Hoping Jamf eventually incorporates this feature or monitoring tool in the future, it looks like it collects all that data, and you can see it per individual computer, but we don't see a way to correlate the data for a smart group?

Anyone else able to use Jamf to gather this data, or use labstats, or recommend any other tool out there?

Thanks!
Marc V

jakeobie
New Contributor II

@NPU-Casper , did you ever end up finding a solution? We are currently looking at labstats as well.

Thanks!