Computername in jamf

Franky779
New Contributor III

Hi all,

actually i set the computernames in jamf via api. On inventory update it gets overwritten by the real name of the computer.

Can i stop this without forcing the jamf name to the real computer name? In policie settings i only find a way to force the jamf name to be the computer name.

Computer itself can be "Adams Macbook". in Jamf it should be/stay "MacBook Pro 12345". 12345 is the id from our hardware database.

Greetings Frank

Greetings Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Franky779 You can't have a different name on the Mac and in the Jamf Pro record for it. If you want Jamf Pro to report "MacBook Pro 12345" then that's what the name on the computer needs to be set to.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Franky779 You can't have a different name on the Mac and in the Jamf Pro record for it. If you want Jamf Pro to report "MacBook Pro 12345" then that's what the name on the computer needs to be set to.

Franky779
New Contributor III

Thats bad news....people won´t be happy when we name the computers ;). I was hoping to skip this parameter on inventory update.

Why not just use the Asset Tag field for this? Or, consider adding an Extension Attribute with data type String and input type of Text Field; this way you can have a separate record that is searchable within Jamf. 

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are these BYO Macs you're talking about? If these are company/institutionally owned, then frankly, it really shouldn't be up to the end users what their Mac is named. Most people don't even see that, and anyway, from a security standpoint, it's bad practice to leave things named like "Joe Somebody's MacBook Pro" PII and all that, which is readable on public networks.

If these are BYO Macs, then my suggestion would be to forget about or ignore the computer name, and do something like what @pete_c mentions. Use an Asset Tag or Extension Attribute to store the name you would like to see for the device. That way everyone is happy.

Franky779
New Contributor III

Its company macs for their employees....and yes you are right but its kinda user friendly here. And almost everybody working here is kinda IT guy....so they will know/see their computer names. But i will discuss this point.

I actually use extension attributes für hardware id. This is working fine. I just wanted to set the names kinda conform.