Configuration Profile Distribution

josaxo
New Contributor

Hello - I require some assistance with the distribution of Configuration Profiles to newly imaged machines. Here is the situation:

- 1 configuration profile configured w/ 5 AD certificates
- 1 Configuration profile configured with corporate wifi settings
- Both configuration profiles are scoped using a smart group

I'm finding that unless i go into the configuration profile, save, then say distribute to newly added computers, the profiles are not installing. Is this an issue with using smart groups for scoping? Any way to force these profiles to come down when a user first logs on? The issue is that our Outlook and Lync clients require the certificates to authenticate - thus until they are installed, users are unable to create their mailbox / instant messaging application.

Thanks for any help!
JS

4 REPLIES 4

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

By default, they rely on push notifications - are those blocked in your environment? You could download your profiles and manually distribute them.

/exportOSXConfigurationProfile.html

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not using Config Profiles yet, but I seem to recall reading something similar here a few months ago, that the Smart Groups weren't getting properly updated in relation to a Configuration Profile, so the profile wouldn't get deployed. Or maybe it was an issue with just Smart Groups not updating as they should. Not sure now. If I can find those posts, I'll link them here for you. It may be a defect being worked on.

Edit: OK, that didn't take long. Here is the thread-
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=5227

josaxo
New Contributor

Push notifications are working as expected - I am able to push the configuration profiles successfully. The issue seems to be with the Smart group scoping contained in the Configuration profile. The smart group is updated correctly, but the profile is not pushed to the newly added machines until i re-save the configuration profile and select 'Distribute to All'.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone,

In your configuration profile set up in the JSS, do you have a test profile with the same name also scoped to devices, or perhaps duplicate profiles with different payloads? If so, try renaming them and changing the payload to what it should be, and see if that fixes the issue you are having.

That could maybe explain the original or test profile isn't getting updated until you change the payload and then select distribute to all.

If you are still having problems with this, please contact your account manager.

Thanks,
Tom