Configuration profile for vncagent component of RealVNC Server app

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I'm testing RealVNC Server for some of our users.

When I install the Server App it asks for a bunch of approvals for pppc settings things like Accessibilty, and Screen Recording and when I look in there I see that these have been given to vncagent

I used the PPPC utility to get the info for Identifier and Code Requirement and made the settings in a Jamf Configuration profile but it didn't seem to effect the computer as when I install it still prompts me for those settings.

So, I created a configuration profile with PPPC Utility, and used the upload feature in Jamf Pro configuration profiles area.  That profile looks the same as mine but again still not working on the client as I still get prompted

Here's screen shots of the Configuration Profile in Jamf

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 11.48.01 am.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 11.48.15 am.png

Any ideas on what might be the issue? 

3 REPLIES 3

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Looks like I have to also add the VNC server app in for pppc settings.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

You cannot preapprove Screen Recording for users.

I do have a question. Why are you not just using macOS's built in VNC Server? You can enable it with a MDM Command, it does not need any PPPC configurations and works fine with 3rd party VNC Clients.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi AJ,

I think you will find that you can preapprove screen recording so that non-admin users can move the slider to allow screen recording.   This is something I have done for other remote access products as well

Yes I wanted to just go with the Mac VNC but others wanted encrypted login.  It was felt that the steps for using an SSH tunnel would cause too many support issues.