Configuration profile Restrictions sharing services not working

dalyj
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

When I create a configuration profile to restrict the sharing services that should be enabled in the share menu, it doesn't matter what I uncheck or don't uncheck, as soon as I save it, they're all checked again.

for instance, I'll uncheck Airdrop so that it should not be enabled in the share menu. When I click save, and then go back and look, Airdrop is checked again.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a way to fix it?

Thanks
John

17 REPLIES 17

iweiss
New Contributor III

@dalyj

I noticed this too. Did you find a solution yet?

seanmcelroy
New Contributor

I opened a ticket today with Jamf support, it appears to be a known product issue:

Thank you for contacting Jamf Support. I am sorry to hear that we are running into some difficulties when trying to restrict Sharing Services. Doing some research, I believe we are hitting a Product Issue (PI-005851). This deals with leaving the "Automatically enable new sharing services" box unchecked. If we check that box, the settings will save correctly. What we then need to do is keep track of any new sharing options and disable those as well as they will not be disabled by default. I do not have a timetable of when this will be resolved, so I am unable to provide you a version of Jamf Pro to be on. Please let me know if you have any questions. PI-005851 - Sharing Services Restrictions do not save when Automatically enable new sharing services is unchecked Workaround: Checking the Automatically enable new sharing services checkbox seems to resolve the issue, but this is not ideal, as it requires Admins to keep track of every new sharing option and go in and manually disable it

I did try out this checking 'Automatically enable new sharing services', and the rest of my selections did save. This is obviously not a suitable long-term workaround, because now new settings like "Tencent Weibo" show up when this is checked whereas it was not before, but some options I wanted gone are gone.

diradmin
Contributor II

To continue on this thread, with the "Automatically enable new sharing services" hack (in lieu of Jamf actually fixing this still open PI) and all items unchecked, to include "Video Services - Flickr, Vimeo, Tuduo and Youku", still seeing that Flickr is available in the Share menu.

Anyone else observing this as well?

Cornoir
Contributor II

Just another example of how Configuration Profiles are not 100% reliable, forcing admins to use whatever it takes to get a workaround (i., User Template, MCX, scripting et al).

arsjamfauh
New Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same issue with restrictions. Asking, where can i find "Automatically enable new sharing services"??

Thanks

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

We have this issue on 10.7.1. I couldn't find the PI in their list of issues. No surprise there.

diradmin
Contributor II

@arsjamfauh Under Computers > Configuration Profiles > Restrictions > Sharing Services, scroll to the bottom.

nwagner
Contributor

In JAMF 10.9 this is still broken. Anyone got a custom plist and domain to get rid of all this stuff?

totalyscrewedup
New Contributor III

Any updates on this? I'm on Jamf cloud and we just got the update done this Saturday to newest version. Yet, the issue remains. I've confirmed that the checkbox at the bottom addresses the issue to an extent. I just don't like to risk a new service coming online and we don't have this checked at the time of release and cause a security incident.

GSquared
New Contributor II

Experiencing this issue as well, tried to restrict some of the sharing services for students using a CP and it would just revert to them all being checked again.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Just ran into this today on 10.16.1 and it is STILL not fixed.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

You might want to take a look ProfileCreator. Just be sure to sign the Configuration Profile when exporting from ProfileCreator as importing it into Jamf Pro will mangle the settings.

tomt
Valued Contributor

For me it's less about the functionality as it is the display when presenting it in Security Meetings.

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

This still seems to be an issue in 10.17.1.

diradmin
Contributor II

@jaz

PI-005851, "Jamf Pro fails to save settings in the Restrictions payload of a computer configuration profile" is still open and not yet resolved as of Jamf Pro 10.18.0.

Suggest contacting Jamf Support and having your organization associated with this open PI so that you may receive notification once resolved.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Now on 10.18 and still broken!!! Come on Jamf, stop hiring salespeople and get some additional engineers.

jrb
New Contributor III

The fact this is still broken in 10.21 is..... amazing.