Configurator 2.5 DEP Enrollment - An unexpected error has occurred with “iPad”.

EduTech
New Contributor III

Hello,
In using Configurator 2.5 to enroll devices in our DEP I encountered the below error on some of our iPads:

An unexpected error has occurred with “iPad”.

Provisional Enrollment failed.
The cloud configuration server is unavailable or busy. [MCCloudConfigErrorDomain – 0x80EF (33007)]
ed9e593b1beb43269184d74de5f58f54

I called AppleCare Enterprise. They checked the devices that I was trying to add and indicated they are or were enrolled in our Parent School District DEP. This prevented the iPads from being added to any other DEP. Even if the devices were removed from their DEP they cannot be added to a new DEP. Sharing in case anyone else receives this error.

CORRECTION - The person I initially spoke to at Apple Care Enter price was wrong.I was able to have our parent district go into Apple School Manager, input the serial number and choose "Release Devices." I am now able to add this to our DEP!

It basically translates as : "This device is not eligible to add to your Company's DEP"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

david_yenzer
Contributor II

Thanks! I was getting this error and there was a miscommunication about it having been deleted from our DEP. Turns out it was still in our district DEP account! I have ceased banging head against wall thanks to reading this post.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Graeme
Contributor

I had a very similar issue and we found that iOS11 needs unauthenticated access to ocsp-ds.ws.symantec.com.edgekey.net iOS10 worked fine but iOS11 didn't. Same error message, different error code.
Regards
Graeme

david_yenzer
Contributor II

Thanks! I was getting this error and there was a miscommunication about it having been deleted from our DEP. Turns out it was still in our district DEP account! I have ceased banging head against wall thanks to reading this post.

Cool! But what about if the device ( iPad Pro) is brand new? Is there a solution for this even if the device brand new?

EduTech
New Contributor III

david.yenzer - You are correct I did some further testing and found out that if the parent district removes the device using Apple School Manager, by inputting the serial number and choosing to "Release Device" we can then add it with Configurator 2.5 to our DEP.

Very good news!

dtrockman
New Contributor III

I am using configurator 2.7 on an ios 11 phone and got the same message. In the end, when I went into DEP and added the SN to my Jamf Pro server, it took it even though there was no indication that a new SN had been added to DEP via any process.

This was a phone we had received from Apple as an Applecare replacement FWIW.

mjerome
New Contributor II

@dtrockman where did you add it in JAMF? I'm seeing the same thing.

dtrockman
New Contributor III

@mjerome , I am still getting failed responses from configurator but the device SN is indeed available in DEP following directions: https://support.jamfnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000004483-Use-Apple-Configurator-2-5-to-enroll-iOS-devices-in-DEP

Substitute your DEP use in Pro and ignore the Now references....

brian_speer
New Contributor

When using Configurator 2.5 and selecting prepare ipad 13.3.1 Add to Device enrollment program and allow devices to pair with other computers and I have Jamfnow as mdm. Here's the error message," An Unexpected error has occurred with iPad Provisional Enrollment failed The cloud configuration server is unavailable. MCCloudCOnfigErrorDomain - 0x80EF (330071)". I don't use configurator profile because I get errors also Ipad isn't registered in Apple Business Manager or Jamfnow. I did restore all content and settings but same message comes up. I have completed 10 ipads with the same setup but have to wipe each one so thanks for your assistance.

makarand93
New Contributor

Hello,

I had the same issue. make sure you have Enrolled WI-FI profile into the blueprint.

Also make sure the device is connected to Internet to be in DEP as it connects to network.

Hope this helps.

BR

dtrockman
New Contributor III

You can also make a manual WiFi connection as a quick stopgap to this issue.

EmreU
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,
I had same issue. This error occurs if the mobile device does not have a WIFI connection. Connect the WIFI connection after choosing your language and region. After the WIFI connection, the go next steps and continue the enrolment process with Apple Configurator 2. The process will be completed without error.

jed_tauber
New Contributor

Just spoke to Apple Deployment services and they quickly resolved this issue.
Go to System Preferences>Sharing> turn off Content Caching, Turn on Internet Sharing
Go back to Configurator 2 and prepare the device. This worked instantly
If you require Content Caching on your network, try turning it back on after Internet Sharing is turned on.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

I am getting this message as well trying to enroll a device that was not purchased via DEP into our DEP and i keep getting this very annoying message: The cloud configuration server is unavailable or busy. [MCCloudConfigErrorDomain – 0x80EF (33007)] Also Business Manager no longer allows you to add any devices to it manually now which I think is trash on Apples part.

dougleitch
New Contributor

Just spoke to Apple Deployment services and they quickly resolved this issue.
Go to System Preferences>Sharing> turn off Content Caching, Turn on Internet Sharing
Go back to Configurator 2 and prepare the device. This worked instantly
If you require Content Caching on your network, try turning it back on after Internet Sharing is turned on.

Worked perfectly! Thanks for posting!