Connect to a Mac's hard drive over network

cassielevett
New Contributor

I know I can go from Mac to PC using smb://(computer name)/C$

Is there a reverse to this? Is there anyway way to connect to a Mac's hard drive from a PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

In System Preferences -> Sharing you would want to check mark File Sharing. Then click the Options button to make sure you have "Share files and folders via SMB" checked. Also note the users that are checked for file sharing as you will need to use that person's credentials on the Windows computer to connect to the Mac. Then click the Done button. Note the address that is listed for connecting via SMB in the File Sharing system preference pane (example smb://192.168.0.1). Now on the windows machine you can connect by searching for the address. For the example I would want to search for 192.168.0.1 and it will allow you to connect to the Mac after providing appropriate credentials.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

In System Preferences -> Sharing you would want to check mark File Sharing. Then click the Options button to make sure you have "Share files and folders via SMB" checked. Also note the users that are checked for file sharing as you will need to use that person's credentials on the Windows computer to connect to the Mac. Then click the Done button. Note the address that is listed for connecting via SMB in the File Sharing system preference pane (example smb://192.168.0.1). Now on the windows machine you can connect by searching for the address. For the example I would want to search for 192.168.0.1 and it will allow you to connect to the Mac after providing appropriate credentials.

cassielevett
New Contributor

That worked! Thanks much!