Content Filtering

swallace
Contributor

Our contract is coming up for renewal for our content filter and we would like to shop around. Currently Jamf Cloud with a proxy. Smoothwall is our provider and it proves to be a bit difficult to work with a vendor with a 6 hour time zone difference and no overnight support staff.

Who do you have and who do you love?
**Education budget

Feedback is much appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

We use ContentKeeper and well quite honestly I know of no one truly excited about their filtering product. Their support also seems to know how to deal with Jamf Pro. At least they have very responsive tech support. I definitely DO NOT recommend lightspeed.

Finally I’ll leave you with a parting thought. Consider this bug while testing if you are relying on the global http proxy payload. It is still an active one with Apple. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/36563/anyone-noticing-a-problem-with-global-proxy-payload-settings

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

We use both the on-prem and remote content filtering offered by Sonicwall on our fleet of MacBook Airs. We are very happy with it.

swallace
Contributor

@Matthew_Ramsay Good to know! I think you might be the first person to speak kindly about a content filter. :) Thanks

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

The issue with the Sonicwall remote content filter client (CFC) is that it requires manual installation by a local admin, acceptance of a kernel extension in System Preferences, as well as the entry of the firewall serial number for every install. I was able to figure out a workaround (no thanks to support), and I am in the process up writing up a how-to so I can post it up here for anyone who needs help deploying the client. I'll post a link once I complete the write-up.

Andrewpants1
New Contributor III

We use for a select amout of computer Light speed reley for content filtering works good easy to deploy.

gcarmichael
New Contributor III

We are a school district in Southwest Alaska, and have a pair of Sophos XG firewalls. They seem to have worked well for us for the last 4-5 years.

swallace
Contributor

@Matthew_Ramsay Wow!! I would for sure need some guidance on that path. Appreciate you r comments, it helps us know what we are getting into.

@gcarmichael We did just switch to Sophos for AV this summer, so far we love it. It's a beast!! Do you use Sophos AV as well? I would think the 2 together would be like song birds.

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

My two cents...As this year has progressed, we are liking the Sonicwall on-prem and remote client less and less. I can no longer recommend it.