Correct Acrobat OS compatibility in patch management

jhamil50
New Contributor III

I just wanted to point out that version 19.012.20034 of Acrobat no longer works on 10.11, as you can see on the release notes here:

19.012.20034 Added support for: Win Server 2019 Dropped support for: Mac OSX 10.11

I haven't tested this with Reader yet, but an Acrobat Pro patch policy will need any 10.11 Macs excluded from the scope, since the definition still states the minimum OS version is 10.11. I can confirm that this version fails to install on any 10.11 Macs.

Also, sorry to jump on the "patch management is mismanaged" bandwagon, but how did this get approved given the process for updating software titles that Jamf outlined here?

The update is downloaded, installed, and run on virtual machines with different macOS versions: 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13 (and occasionally on 10.8). ... The Patch Management Curator compares the JSON file with the update to verify that the version number, dates, minimum operating system, App Name, and BundleID match.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @jhamil50 ,

Thank you for pointing this out. I checked into it and here's what I found.

Adobe Acrobat and Reader DC and Classic Updated Minimum OS Requirements
19.012.20034: Dropped support for:
Mac OSX 10.11

17.011.30142: Dropped support for:
Mac OS 10.10
Mac OS 10.11

15.006.30497: Dropped support for:
Mac OS 10.10
Mac OS 10.11

I've written the update to the JSON, Quality Assurance will check everything on Monday and we'll have it released. When Software Title Definitions were first being developed we did install them across multiple VMs in order to test their minimum requirements. As Patch Management has grown we've come to use release notes and the MinimumSystemVersion value in the info.plist of the Application itself. With this release it was missed. We'll also work on updating the out of date documentation.

We'll get this fixed ASAP, again sorry for the inconvenience.

Jonathon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

robinsonjo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @jhamil50 ,

Thank you for pointing this out. I checked into it and here's what I found.

Adobe Acrobat and Reader DC and Classic Updated Minimum OS Requirements
19.012.20034: Dropped support for:
Mac OSX 10.11

17.011.30142: Dropped support for:
Mac OS 10.10
Mac OS 10.11

15.006.30497: Dropped support for:
Mac OS 10.10
Mac OS 10.11

I've written the update to the JSON, Quality Assurance will check everything on Monday and we'll have it released. When Software Title Definitions were first being developed we did install them across multiple VMs in order to test their minimum requirements. As Patch Management has grown we've come to use release notes and the MinimumSystemVersion value in the info.plist of the Application itself. With this release it was missed. We'll also work on updating the out of date documentation.

We'll get this fixed ASAP, again sorry for the inconvenience.

Jonathon

jhamil50
New Contributor III

Thank you Jonathon! I sincerely appreciate you going the extra mile to check the additional release tracks and I understand the difficulty of verifying that information when it's a little buried. Your explanation of the updated process helped me make sense of the discrepancy - I see LSMinimumSystemVersion = "10 . 4 . 3" (with spaces) after installing 19.012.20034, an issue @donmontalvo pointed out last April. It's hard to put a lot of stock in that field when the developers didn't update this accordingly.

Take care,

Jordan