Corretto vs Java

Gascolator
New Contributor III

I'm looking to migrate to 10.15 and will need to update to Java 11 or move to Corretto. If I can avoid having to pay for a Java license, I'd like to. Anybody running Corretto 11? If so how has your experience been? Positives/Negatives?

11 REPLIES 11

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

We moved to Coretto v8, and then onto v11 when we migrated to Jamf Pro v10.14.0 last month. We use Windows Server 2012 R2.

Absolutely no issues at all.

Gascolator
New Contributor III

Thanks @mark.mahabir . Our environment is the same so that's helpful.

peter
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Gascolator Corretto 11 is fully supported for Jamf Pro 10.14.0+.

It shows up as an example of an OpenJDK 11 installation here for both Mac and Windows. RHEL and Ubuntu have their own OpenJDK builds, but they should be interchangeable with Corretto. It's all OpenJDK under the hood.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

I am running 10.14.1 with Corretto v11 on a MacMini with macOS Mojave 10.14.6

And will likely update to JAMFpro 10.15. with the Release of iOS 13.1 on September 24th

So far no Issues (!)

tsmith182
New Contributor II

Running Corretto V11 on windows server 2016, no issues at all. We were running Java, then switched to corretto with out a hiccup.

ngidzak
New Contributor

We were running Java and moved to Corretto 11
now tomcat does not launch. i keep getting an error The system cannot open the file in event viewer.

I still havent found the solution yet

drhoten
Contributor II

Hello @ngidzak

What version of Jamf Pro were you trying to upgrade to, and were you able to resolve your issue?

There is a known issue with the Windows installers PI-007299 listed in our Jamf Pro Known Issues where the Java option Djava.endorsed.dirs prevents Tomcat from starting and we will be fixing this in an upcoming release of Jamf Pro.

Gascolator
New Contributor III

@ngidzak I'm not sure if you are in a Windows environment so this may be irrelevant. You may check these two things to see if it solves your issue:

Steps 4 and 5 here:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/corretto/latest/corretto-11-ug/windows-7-install.html

The note under step 2 here:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/666/migrating-to-java-11

crskerman
New Contributor II

@ngidzak I had the exact same issue. Comment by @Gascolator specifically the second point solved it for me.

ngidzak
New Contributor

I did find a couple new new issues after getting it working.

1) I needed to do my DEP connections (upload public key to ASM, and re apply new token to JAMF)
2) I needed to remake my Prestage Enrollments.

Not end of the world, but it lost me a days

jlang_remedy
New Contributor III

Anyone have issues with profiles that create local admin accounts when running Corretto v8 specifically?