Create a local account from LDAP during DEP.

pandrum
New Contributor III

I've been playing around with DEP and user creation when staging a computer for users. We have a 1:1 environment.

I have ticked in Require Authentication and Skip Account Creation in our PreStage Enrollment, so a new user must authenticate with their LDAP credentials. So only a hidden management account and an extra admin account it created on the machine.

Is there any way to create a local user on the machine with the credentials provided from LDAP in the DEP enrollment? Like, without binding the machine to AD, if it makes sense? Sorta like a one-way operation, users log in during DEP, and the computer creates a local account from the credentials. Does this makes sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

If you uncheck the "Skip Account Creation" that will setup an account with the provided LDAP username/password. Just note that, they will be prompted to provide the Full name, which at that point, they can change the shortname and password if they so choose.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

If you uncheck the "Skip Account Creation" that will setup an account with the provided LDAP username/password. Just note that, they will be prompted to provide the Full name, which at that point, they can change the shortname and password if they so choose.

chrijens
New Contributor II

I personally prefer the method ddcdennisb describes. Password management is 10x easier this way. Just make sure you create a password policy profile before going this route.

pandrum
New Contributor III

@ddcdennisb

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!