Creative Cloud 2017

monaronyc
Contributor

Hi Folks!

Does anyone know where we can find some solid documentation on how to set up our CC 2017 deployment to a select group of computers via Casper? Install with reboot? We usually do this manually via ARD but with the demand for CC 2017 in Sierra, we may need Casper to deploy to our creative community across sites. Anything you got! Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@monaronyc I do not believe there is any official documentation, and there are a dozen different ways that folks have found work through the years. A search through Jamf Nation will turn up plenty of articles on deployment. A lot of it comes down to what type of distribution point you are using; JDS, SMB share, AFP share, HTTP share, etc.

For my environment (JSS 9.96, JDS 9.96 w/SMB and HTTP shares), I create PKG files using Creative Cloud Packager for each individual app (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc) and then upload them via Casper Admin. During the upload process Casper Admin compresses the PKG files into ZIP files.

If I am deploying only to a select sample of computers, like our Studio department, for example, I would create either a Smart Group that was scoped to those machines, or just use the Department scoping in a policy. I would create a policy that cached the necessary CCP created packages to the machines in that group. The trigger for this policy would be "Recurring Check-In" and it would be set to run once.

Next, I would create a second Smart Group that had as its criteria "Cached Packages Has" and the name of one of the CCP packages that were cached in the previous profile.

With this second SG created, I would then create a second policy set to "Install Cached" and scope it to the second SG, the one looking for "Cached Packages Has". This policy would be set to either "Login", "Logout", or no trigger and it would be set as a Self Service policy with a good description of what is going to happen, asking the users to close all open Adobe apps, and the "Ensure users view..." checkbox checked. If deploying at Login or Logout I would use either jamfHelper, cocoadialog, or the built in User Interaction tab to throw up a message before the policy started running to let the users know what was going on.

I've used this method since CS6 to deploy CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 with minimal issues. I cannot speak to Sites, if you have your environment broken down using the Sites component in Jamf Pro, but the process should be very similar. If you are uninstalling an existing CC install, you can add the uninstaller PKG files to the install policy with a priority set to a lower priority than your CC 2017 installers. That will uninstall the existing CC and then run along to install the new CC 2017 installers.

Hope that helps and is as clear as mud. If you have further questions, just ask.

monaronyc
Contributor

Thank you @stevewood! Very well detailed. It's definitely a start. We did find more on this subject per your mention on what others are doing to deploy as well. Hopefully it won't be to painful.

discounteggroll
New Contributor III

is there any way to obtain the uninstaller pkg that CCP spits out with build? I have older versions of CC apps (2014, 2015, 2015.5,etc) and deleted those uninstall pkg's a while ago, which I regret trashing now. Adobe's new uninstall feature built into CCP is lacking IMO.

Shoesmithlc
New Contributor III

my go to is follow in order
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/packager/creating-packages.html
http://docs.jamf.com/technical-papers/casper-suite/adobe-creative-cloud/9.0/Deploying_Adobe_Creative_Cloud_for_Enterprise.html
if it has problems with caching. follow this
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22311/installing-adobe-cc-having-issues#responseChild134782

here others I found as well if you rather. here is another
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/18085/adobe-rum-and-cc-2015

here is another
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/161/deploying-pkgs-created-with-aamee-or-creative-cloud-packager

jhuls
Contributor III

@discounteggroll I'm guessing you haven't looked at CCP for awhile. It will let you create uninstallers now. Just this morning I created one that should uninstall anything from 2014 on up and hope to test it later today or tomorrow. It creates an executable, txt, and xml file. I assume the txt file isn't actually needed so now I'm trying to figure out what the best location would be to install it and then clean up later.

monaronyc
Contributor

As a matter of fact, when you create a package with CCP, you get an uninstaller with the same install package. In the same folder. I use it all the time. Works great! Gets rid of all the crud. Just make sure you run the uninstaller under the same account you initially installed it under.

monaronyc
Contributor

Hi Folks, sorry for late response. We're finally getting to this and we've hit maybe a small road block, i hope! I We followed the documentation here, and to test, i have 3 iMac workstations we're trying to get this installed on. One .pkg at a time. Starting with InDesign CC 2017. In the JAMF log on all three computers, we're seeing:

The network connection was interrupted while downloading the package from http://yada.yada.yada/CasperShare/Packages/InDesignCC2017.pkg. Attempting to reconnect

and then right after:

Error: InDesignCC2017.pkg is not available on the HTTP server.

In reading a few other posts it says to copy and paste the first URL into a browser and see if it downloads. It does not. Instead we get:

Websites are turned off. An Administrator can turn them on using the Server application.

Are we stuck?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@monaronyc So your DP is meant to be serving files over HTTP, but HTTP is off?

Yep. That'll not help :)

Can you enable HTTP on the DP & get that working?

monaronyc
Contributor

@bentoms YES! I think?!? How and where would we do this? I looked everywhere in the console. Unless we're looking in the wrong place?! What ever it takes we'll do it to get this working! THANKS!