/current is HUGE help!

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Need some help. One of our iMacs is alerting that the HD is almost full. When I go to terminal and sudo then do a du -sh * the results show /current is 859GB. When I look at the contents of /current I see what looks like a duplicate directory as root with another /current. For fun I changed directories into that next /current and found another and so I kept going to /current/current/current/current/current

What's going on? Can I delete the contents of /current? How do I stop this from happening again?

<Edit> Added a picture in case my description of the directory I'm talk about was not clear
4f06c12de9b3499abd9380e5d3980310

2 REPLIES 2

shaquir
Contributor III

Hi @mtiffany ,
I don't recall ever seeing a /current directory on any of my Macs.

I see that the /vm folder (which typically houses the swapfile) was modified around the same time. Do you see any irregularities within the /vm folder as well?

Can you confirm that this is the only machine that has that /current folder.

Just an assumption, but if there is only /current folders inside, it's possible that there is/was a looped command to created that Russian doll of /current folders. (Since it is in a root protected location, only an admin would have been able to have created it)

mtiffany
New Contributor III

@shaquir Thank you for your reply! After my searching for another Mac running Sierra failed (thank goodness), I clean installed it on a spare MB and when I found no such directory on it I decided remove the directory on the subject Mac. At this point I don't know what caused it so I'm just crossing my fingers that it won't start up again. Hopefully if it does I can finally talk this user into getting rid of that old Mac!

Thanks again for the help!