Customize Management Action Icon

pcrandom
Contributor

I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I couldn't find anything in search--or rather, I found a lot of things in search but nothing that was what I was looking for. For updates and patches from Adobe, Microsoft, etc., I create nice Self Service policies to install them and can upload and set icons for each policy. I also create separate "push" policies that prompts users to install the patches and updates in Management Action windows, but I cannot set icons for those in the policies themselves. I'm not sure where they're grabbing the icons from, but for some, like Flash, they are correct, and for others they are incorrect (most often using the Flash icon for some reason). Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pcrandom
Contributor

Hi @emily, thanks for the quick response. I don't actually want to change the Management Action.app icon since my users won't see that (unless they check Notification Center. I'm actually talking about within the Management Action window that shows the Start Message and the drop-down menu for deferral options and the Submit button. To the left of the start message text it shows an icon, like for Flash with a Flash update.

On further inspection, looks like even though we don't make these "push" policies available by Self Service, if I temporarily check the box to enable Self Service for the policy, change the icon there, and then uncheck the box, then the correct icon appears in the Management Action prompt for that policy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

You'd have to change the icon on the Management Action app located at /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/Management Action.app, then redeploy it to all machines for the notification center bubble. If you're talking about jamfHelper or something else, you might find this helpful:

http://www.modtitan.com/2016/10/demystifying-jamfhelper.html

The icon needs to be on the host machine (machine running the policy) somewhere and be called in your script that utilizes jamfHelper (or whatever else).

pcrandom
Contributor

Hi @emily, thanks for the quick response. I don't actually want to change the Management Action.app icon since my users won't see that (unless they check Notification Center. I'm actually talking about within the Management Action window that shows the Start Message and the drop-down menu for deferral options and the Submit button. To the left of the start message text it shows an icon, like for Flash with a Flash update.

On further inspection, looks like even though we don't make these "push" policies available by Self Service, if I temporarily check the box to enable Self Service for the policy, change the icon there, and then uncheck the box, then the correct icon appears in the Management Action prompt for that policy.

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Thanks @pcrandom - this post just keeps on giving!

al786
New Contributor III

Does this still work? I still get a Blank space to the left of the text for mine.

darthmaverick
New Contributor III

I'm with @al786 since upgrading to 10.9 on our server just selecting an icon in the Self Service tab no longer populates the icon in the pop up window.