Customizing Self Service App Title on main page ?

JC2012
New Contributor

Is there a way to customize the title bar "Self Service" on the main page when the app opens.

For example instead of saying "Self Service" , "CompanyName Apps" ?

Thanks, JC

9 REPLIES 9

steelopus
New Contributor III

This would be great, but I'm guessing the app is pre-packaged into the JSS upon installation.

I too would love to see the ability in future updates, if possible.

corbinmharris
Contributor

Looking into corporate branding the Self Service App as well. Anyone?

corbinmharris
Contributor

Looking into corporate branding the Self Service App as well. Anyone?

FastGM3
Contributor

I tried finding a previous discussion on this subject for you. But couldn't. Basically as I recall, you have to edit CSS files on the server to brand or customize self service as it appears on the computers. Try various searches I'm sure it will turn up.

Branding or customizing Self Service on Mobile Devices is a bit easier as it's done just by creating a web clip.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=195

Chuck

jconte
Contributor II

The only thing I have been able to do is change the name of Self Service in the applications folder. Users can click on our "Company App Store" to see what is available to them, but the title bar still shows Self Service. It does look pretty nice in the Applications folder seeing something pertaining to your org, rather than Self Service.

jafuller
Contributor

Branding/Themes for Self Service are not quite available. You can modify/customize the CSS and images manually on the server, but that would require tracking those changes and keeping them available to add back when you upgrade as they will be overwritten by most upgrades.

Check here:
/Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/theme/

You'll find a number of files in reference to the display of the web app, enrollment, self service, etc.
Any updates should be applied to all web servers in your cluster.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm no developer, so I may be way off, but I'm thinking the actual Self Service.app's titlebar isn't stored in the CSS files on the JSS. Perhaps it is, but I think that may be contained in some of the files within the .app bundle itself. I think the CSS stuff only controls the content inside the Self Service window. Reason I say this is because if you open Self Service when disconnected from your JSS, you get an error in the main window's contents, but things like the titlebar and other UI stuff still show up fine, hence why I think its local.

jafuller
Contributor

@mm2270: You're correct. I meant the post only as a reference to the visuals or layout and display of Self Service. The content is pulled programmatically and may require application customization.

FastGM3
Contributor

Just an idea for you something we decided to do instead of messing with the CSS files. We created an alias to the self service and put our own logo in the icon and named the self service alias SJUSD App Store. So the alias lives in our default user template and after imaging the computer is joined into the JSS. Thus linking the alias to the self service.

It's not perfect but at least it's branded and makes some sense to our end users.

Chuck