david.koff@nike.com

themacdweeb
Contributor

Earthlings,

Greetings in this, your new revolution around your Sun.

For several key reasons, we need to distribute a core image to a few international partners who don't have access to casper imaging. I've therefore compiled an image based on one of our Casper Admin configs. And, having gone through this process 4-5 times over the past week, I'm noticing some odd behaviors:

1. There's no jamf binary I can find in the completed DMG. I've looked in /usr/local as we're dealing with OS X 10.11 builds. Image attached. Clearly my other installs DID find their way to this directory.
  2. While all pkgs and DMGs in the build were compiled, the one script in the configuration that runs on first boot can't be found not nowhere, not no how.

Are these results to be expected? My (perhaps unreasonable) expectation was that a Casper compiled image would contain.... Casper software.

fff71fb801c1486e829d759c41259127

4 REPLIES 4

talkingmoose

Given that JAMF Software expects compiled images to be deployed using Casper Imaging, they expect Casper Imaging to put in the management bits not Casper Admin.

If you're not using Casper Imaging to deploy your compiled .dmg, how are you restoring it? Generally, you don't need to add a QuickAdd.pkg file to a configuration, but if you're not using Casper Imaging to deploy it then this may be an option for you. Set it to install onto the boot drive.

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

There's no jamf binary I can find in the completed DMG. I've looked in /usr/local as we're dealing with OS X 10.11 builds. Image attached. Clearly my other installs DID find their way to this directory.
Casper imaging, enrolls on next connection to the network at reboot.

While all pkgs and DMGs in the build were compiled, the one script in the configuration that runs on first boot can't be found not nowhere, not no how.
Scripts are deployed from the JSS. On first boot, casper imaging lays down a launch daemon that full screens jamf helper, enrolls the machine then contacts the JSS for any scripts it needs to then run

Sonic84
Contributor III

Hi David, welcome to the JAMF message board, I recommend getting in touch with your corporate counterparts for Casper image related questions.

themacdweeb
Contributor

@talkingmoose I didn't realize that complied images were designed, specifically, to be used with Casper Imaging. Thanks for the heads up there. I haven't designed the imaging process in this case to use Casper Imaging, however: we're having another tech team apply the DMGs to their new Macs via Disk Utility. As a result, yes: we'll need a method to either including a quickAdd pkg into a re-compiled build or have it installed by our satellite imaging team.

@rderewianko Thank you as well. However, as we're not using Casper Imaging, the launchD items aren't created in the first place.

@Sonic84 Nice to see you here as well! Been around these parts since '09 actually :)