Declarative Device Management

Sclewis
New Contributor III

Can someone explain what "Declarative Device Management" is? All I can find are vague descriptions and I just don't understand what it is. With that, what's the deal with this failed command? DDM is not showing as being enabled on any of our devices. It seems like this is supposed to be done automatically? TIAScreenshot 2022-12-15 at 12.00.24 PM.png

9 REPLIES 9

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

@Sclewis  any chance you got any resolution to this issue? I'm hitting it now that we've started pushing Ventura out to our users.

Sclewis
New Contributor III

No. While I sort of get what DDM is, I have no idea how to control it in Jamf. It doesn't appear to be working for any of my Ventura devices, doesn't seem to affect functionality, but still trying to figure out what's going on.  I reached out to customer support today to see if they have any insight. I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Let me know if you come up with a solution and I'll be sure to do the same. 

xEpicFail_O_o
New Contributor III

@Sclewis just an FYI, got a response back from another contributor and its apparently a known product issue from JAMF. You can ask to follow up/track this via the release notes.

PI-110700. (Product issue)

Sclewis
New Contributor III

Thank you! I really appreciate you letting me know. :-) 

jklimeck-ahead
New Contributor II

Finally DDM is here...albeit broken a bit at the moment. DDM will, from what I understand, starting with macOS 13 Ventura and Jamf Pro 10.42/10.43.... alleviate the need for recon before / after our policies (in order to assist us in scoping). Installing some app for example to all who do not have this said app (Crowdstrike), there will be no need to do a "recon" making Jamf aware that CS is installed, the Mac itself will report back to Jamf on whatever has changed. This is excellent!

This is actually very helpful! I've watched all the developer stuff on DDM, and it didn't all make that much sense. But that would be great not having to enter recon to update the inventory. Thanks!

jklimeck-ahead
New Contributor II

Also, it looks like this may be related to the new DDM (Extension Attribute in Inventory Display > Computer, this Extension Attribute is not working, as in even though a Mac is displaying DDM = Enabled in the General tab, the EA is showing Not Enabled....Jamf might you chime in here, thank you.

Jamf has replied to me saying it's a known bug and the feature is not actually working.