Decommisioning a Computer - Best Practices

forrest99
New Contributor III

We have been running Jamf on our computers since the launch of our company three years ago. From time to time we have computers that need to be removed from our system and I would like to know the best practices. Up to this point all my attention has been on getting computers enrolled.

All our computers are in Apple Business Manager (ABM) and they are enrolled in Jamf using PreStage enrollment. This works well.

When an employee leaves the company I lock the computer in Jamf before the computer is shipped back.

When I receive the returned computer, I use the unlock code from Jamf to unlock the computer. I then release it from ABM. Next I select Remove MDM profile. Once I confirm that the profiles have been removed, I then delete the computer from Jamf.

Is this the best, or at least, correct way to do this, or is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

If you are truly decommissioning the device(to be traded or sold off) you will want to just push the wipe command once in your possession vs remove MDM profile.  While it wipes, remove it from Jamf and release it from ABM - this way it removes it from any management and can be sold off cleanly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

If you are truly decommissioning the device(to be traded or sold off) you will want to just push the wipe command once in your possession vs remove MDM profile.  While it wipes, remove it from Jamf and release it from ABM - this way it removes it from any management and can be sold off cleanly.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Depending on your org settings, might add Activation Lock and Firmware Password to the checklist.