Defer major but allow minor updates

ITTN
New Contributor III

Hi 

would like to:

Defer a major update (from Sonoma to XX) for 90 days
 & Allow all minor updates (from 11.5.2 to 11.5.3) 

How i can achieve that. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

daniel_behan
Contributor III

You can only defer its availability in System Settings for up to 90 days.  For scripted deployments of minor patches, super it the way to go.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You can defer Major and Minor OS updates separately, your options are 1, 7, 30, 60 and 90 days from the date the OS update released. Since Ventura is older than 90 days, you cannot defer it anymore. You could still block the minor builds of Ventura (ie 14.4, 14.3.1, 14.3) that are less then 90 days, but the major build (14.0, 14.1, 14.2) is too old to defer.

In the off chance you are still running macOS 11. You really want to get that out of your environment as Apple stopped releasing security updates for macOS 11 last August.

AJPinto_0-1710439053374.png

ITTN
New Contributor III

@AJPinto Thanks for prompt response 

I will rephrase this
I want to block major updates like from SONOMA to next new OS but want to allow minor updates that sonoma has . 

anyway to do that?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You can block any OS update for 90 days from its date of release. Once that date passes, it will be presented to the user to install. There is no way to defer an OS update longer then 90 days, Major or Minor.

Major OS updates do require Admin Access to install, so if users don't have admin access, they can't install the update, but they will see popups about it.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Major OS updates only require Admin Access if they are initiated from the installer App. If you initiate the upgrade form Software Update (and are getting the "Delta" upgrade in SU), a Standard user is allowed to upgrade. If on Apple Silicon, they just need to be a Volume Owner. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Oh, I was not aware of that. I thought it still needed Admin access for a Major Update. Thank you for pointing that out.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

You can only defer its availability in System Settings for up to 90 days.  For scripted deployments of minor patches, super it the way to go.