Delayed ComputerName update?

vanschip-gerard
Contributor

Just curious, what process within Jamf deals with updating the inventory part for ComputerName? I thought it would be the Jamf Inventory tool but that does not seem to always update the computer name.

Asking as right now I'm changing some of the computer names (scutil --set ComputerName) and a few machines kept their old names in Jamf Pro Cloud for 24 hours. Others changed straight away. Restarting the machine, running inventory check several times made no difference.

What am I missing?

3 REPLIES 3

SC-BDavis
New Contributor

I believe jamf recon is the command for updating the information but I've seen a lot of discussion about delay in updates. I too am looking to update the JSS ComputerName listed after running a rename script but fail to see results.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

In my testing with a rename script called from a policy, it seemed that the policy was caching the old computer name and sending that to Jamf Pro when doing a Maintenance Task Update Inventory. So I removed that Maintenance Task and added the 'jamf recon' command to my rename script. It seems to work..

SC-BDavis
New Contributor

I finally got my policy/script to work. I have the update policies reinforcing the Computer Name from JSS but at the same time I'm updating non-standard computer names via policy. I had to add the Jamf recon to the end of my script and not update inventory in the policy under maintenance to ensure Jamf Pro received the new information. Works like a charm now.