Deleted .AppleSetupDone, but still not prompting for setup wizard

powellbc
Contributor II

We would like our standard image to, after imaging, run the OS X setup wizard which allows the user to create a new local admin account. To that end I have deleted .AppleSetupDone from the /var/db folder before capturing the image with Composer. However, when imaging it does not prompt for the setup wizard. This seems to be Casper specific as it did not occur in DeplyStudio (we are in the middle of migrating from DeployStudio to Casper for imaging).

Another thread here said to try deleting the autorun data, but I did and no change. It affected machines without any autorun data as well. I also mounted the image file and verified the .AppleSetupDone file was not there.

Is there any way around this? This is an issue because we have enabled access for basic imaging to all of your technicians for new machine deployments and remediation and they don't have access to the custom imaging option.

5 REPLIES 5

thomasC
Contributor

It's an option in Casper Imaging. Custom Install button>Advanced tab>Advanced Options>Show Setup Assistant After Reboot checkbox. You will need to grant your imaging techs access under privileges in the JSS.

Removing .AppleSetupDone is unnecessary if using Composer and Casper Imaging.

powellbc
Contributor II

The issue with enabling custom imaging is it enabled everyone access to all software, which is untenable in our environment. Why isn't this custom option something you can specify in the configuration? It would make things much easier.

Why does Casper inject this file back into the image if it is deleted?

thomasC
Contributor

Well aware of that. That's why we limit access to specific individuals. You could try a script to run at reboot. Haven't tried but just a thought.

Can't answer the why?? Make a feature request or check to see if there has been one already and vote it up.

powellbc
Contributor II

I did add a feature request. :)

I have a script which works but requires an additional manual reboot. I was trying to get around this. Not the most elegant but should work for now.

In terms of access to specific people, Central IT (we) deployed Casper and allow the decentralized areas to use it as well, so we have this problem whenever the issue of scoped security comes up.

Thanks for your help.

andyinindy
Contributor II

Not to hijack the thread, but I have exactly the opposite issue!

I just recreated my base image using a hardware-specific InstallESD for a MacBook Air (downloaded using the afp548 recovery partition method). I used instaDMG to add patches, admin account, etc. as usual, and then uploaded it to Casper Admin.

Every machine that uses this base image now boots into the setup assistant. No idea why this would be happening, since my process was identical when building our previous base images. Maybe it has something to do with the way that I downloaded the InstallESD (app store vs. recovery mode)?? This seems unlikely.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

*EDIT* Oddly enough, this seems to have resolved itself. Not sure why that might have been happening... but I don't really care as long as it isn't an issue going forward!