DEP + 10.10.5 + JSS 9.82

bofh
New Contributor III

Hi,

Happy new Year ;-)

As we got iMacs and MacBooks with DEP and finally upgraded to 9.82 I figured out how our "Best Practice" will be (Details will follow, if somebody is interested).
Now those Macs came with 10.11.1; If you reset them via Recovery they will be 10.11.2.
Everything works fine with them, they perfectly do what we want the Macs to (including AD Bind!)

Now we have a 10.10.5 Macbook Pro (reinstalled from Recovery Partition, deleted Macintosh HD before).
And it seems like 10.10.5 does behave another way, it doesnt seem to really do an Active Directory bind (worked once out of 5 tries). The Scripts which run very properly won't run and even dont send any output back to Casper. And after a few Minutes they even turn back to "unmanaged".

I can rule out a bad network connection as those two mentioned Machines are the only ones (except the router). Both are use LAN/Ethernet.
And probably any Setting for DEP, as it's working with 10.11.x

Did anyone see this too? Is this a known Issue? Am I doing something wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

bofh
New Contributor III

No one ? :(

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

It wasn't clear but are these 10.11.x iMacs vs 10.10.5 MacBook Pro Retinas? The iMacs have built-in Ethernet while the MacBook Pro Retinas obviously won't. So I'm wondering if source of the issue isn't so much the OS but rather the hardware. I know on certain MacBooks it won't read Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapters immediately. But then again that really becomes an issue if you're actually imaging these computers and it doesn't sound like you're imaging here, is that correct?

bofh
New Contributor III

Hi,

nope, no imaging.

Macbook with fresh Image from Apple.

Everything's normal (during the "Initial Setup" Process) until the User is thrown to the desktop.
Sometimes it will get "managed" within the JSS, sometimes it does not. If it does, it binds tries to bind to the Active Directory. But after a while it turns "unmanged".
Cant tell you more right now, as i dont have the machine right here now :(

I'm just wondering if others experience that "feature" too?!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

So have you looked at the jamf.log and system.log? Any useful info there? Also, I wonder if the network issue might still be at play. Wonder if it's a case of having to wait an extra minute while it gets enrolled.

The other thing I'm wondering also is if the issue isn't experienced with 10.11? Why not take these Macs to 10.11 from the get go? Surely, even if you don't want to image, you probably still want all the Macs at least on the same OS (at least the latest one you support which it sounds like you're supporting 10.11)? A simple base image might work for a situation like this. Or you could make use of something like NetInstall to install the OS over the network. Or whatever other method you want to use to get 10.11 on the Mac.

bofh
New Contributor III

Well there is no jamf.log ... and the system.log doesnt say anything about DEP either.
But it's running through the Enrollment process, at least during First Time Setup.

I'll open a Ticket for this