DEP and Multiple MDM Servers

danshaw
Contributor II

My company uses two different MDM's for managing iPads and Mac Laptops. Before you ask, I have already tried to get them to move the iPads over to JAMF with no success. :) Still working on that.

The problem I have is that we have the iPad MDM set up as the default MDM server for DEP because we buy more of those. So when we buy Mac computers, they are being added to the iPad DEP. When we set up the Mac's, they are trying to be pushed the iPad MDM configs and it is presenting us with error messages.

To solve this I am having to manually move the serials from the iPad server to the computer server. This works, but I would like to have them be put into their correct servers automatically.

Anyone else have this issue? I have reached out to our Apple rep, but I was curious if others have solved this themselves.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

danshaw
Contributor II

I heard back from my Apple Rep. Basically that answer from one of the engineers was this:

"They should turn off automatic assignments and use manual assignments instead."

https://help.apple.com/deployment/business/#/tesf500c0851

So short answer is no, there is no way to have them be sorted automatically. Oh well, there are worse things.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Assuming you haven't switched over from DEP to Apple School Manager. After you make the switch, then you can set which platform goes to which MDM.

If Apple School Manager is an option for your company, I suggest making the switch over. At this time, we don't use any of the extra Class features that are available in it.

mrheathjones
New Contributor III

We currently use AirWatch for our iOS devices and Jamf for our Macs. AirWatch is set as our default MDM and ALL of our Apple devices get added there. I have to manually move S/N's over to my Jamf Pro MDM as well. I don't think there is anything that can be done about this at the present moment. Unless someone else has some more info. I feel your pain though.

danshaw
Contributor II

I heard back from my Apple Rep. Basically that answer from one of the engineers was this:

"They should turn off automatic assignments and use manual assignments instead."

https://help.apple.com/deployment/business/#/tesf500c0851

So short answer is no, there is no way to have them be sorted automatically. Oh well, there are worse things.

swapple
Contributor III

Open DEP/Business Mgr > MDM Servers > Click on a server > Edit and check the device you want to send to that MDM server.

f5f4e75714e44b499c4a918067c05cfd

George-x_chan
New Contributor III

@swhps - i can't see this when i go and edit my MDM Server. I only see "Download Serial Numbers", "Rename", "replace key", Generate New Token" ?

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@George-x.chan The latest ASM update moved the default server options to Settings > Device Management Settings > Default Device Assignment

jason_bracy
Contributor III

@danshaw @George-x.chan Have you upgraded to Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager ? If so you can assign which MDM server different device types default to (as mentioned by @swhps ) Obviously this thread was started before ABM/ASM existed...

danshaw
Contributor II

@jason.bracy We upgraded a few months ago. Now we can select which MDM our various devices can be assigned to. By device I mean Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc. You can’t get any more granular then that. For example, you can’t split up various Mac models.

George-x_chan
New Contributor III

@jphillips @jason.bracy thanks for the help guys.