DEP Prestage Enrollments taking 30-40 minutes to complete...

MacMaul
New Contributor II

We are having an issue with 10.4.0 (which was also present in 10.1.1) in which the time between kicking off the Remote Management part of Setup Assistant to enroll a macOS 10.13.4 machine using a Prestage and getting to the login window takes between 30-40 minutes. This Prestage is only enrolling the Mac and laying down the management and a local admin account. It does nothing else. The commands to do those tasks sit as Pending in the Mac object's JSS Management Commands section. I'm guessing the bottle-neck is Apple? This is kind of ridiculous as in 30-40 minutes using Imaging "the olde fashioned way", we had a Mac fully imaged with all of our core software and settings, ready to hand off to the user.

Is there a way to see a log file during this process on the Mac?

6 REPLIES 6

mconners
Valued Contributor

@PhilMaul I had a similar situation. Turns out, we had a build up of pending and failed mdm commands in the JSS. The cause is likely a bunch of user level commands that aren't executing. Because they don't have a chance to execute, they sit in the pending state.

After conversing with Jamf Support, they had sent me a command to run on the JSS to clear out those stacked up commands. I have been imaging our labs and implementing our DEP workflow, so this was a problem for sure.

Anyhow, they sent me the information I needed. I have since decided to run the commands every Monday morning in only to ensure a clean slate for the week. I would contact Jamf support to verify this is your issue too.

Mick

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

We also see this issue sometimes and we also see the same thing as @mconners. If it is the build up of pending commands, that PI has been known for at least 4 years.

crbeck
Contributor

I've been running into the same issue, thank you for posting this! Going to look at clearing those pending and failed mdm commands out as suggested and see if that helps.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

I had a post about a similar issue and have a case opened with JAMF but still haven't gotten down to a root cause yet.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/27933/10-3-1-dep-and-user-initiated-enrollment-build-wo...

blairb
New Contributor III

Any chance you have a large package inadvertently set to be triggered by enrollment complete?

sacomsto
New Contributor II

I'm sure this probably doesn't impact your issue, but we had some DEP issues that culminated in being unable to add devices to a pre-stage enrollment this morning. Turns out I had to log into the https://school.apple.com site and 'accept' a new agreement that had been posted at some point before communications would resume flowing between our JSS and their MDM Server. I wish that an error would have been passed to the JSS such as "Please login to review new user agreement..." would have saved a bunch of time this morning.