DEP Testing and consequences

Kyuubi
Contributor

Quick question to all: I'm now getting new machines that were purchased thru DEP. Broke out one to start testing and was wondering if there was a way to 'zero the machine out' and get it back to how it was right before i started testing? If i erase the JSS id and take all enrollment and jamf framework off the machine, can i re-use it for DEP testing and enrollments again and again? Or is it a one shot deal? What are others doing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamcodega
Valued Contributor
  1. Remove the computer from the JSS
  2. Remove the JSS framework from the computer
  3. Remove .AppleSetupDone from /var/db/ so the computer re-runs Setup Assistant

You might need to manually remove any profiles.. number 3 is the most important, DEP check-in only occurs during Setup Assistant with a network connection.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jezerski
New Contributor III

In the past, for DEP testing, I've erased the hard drive and reinstalled the OS. This will put it back into the default state and should work for re-enrolling in DEP.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor
  1. Remove the computer from the JSS
  2. Remove the JSS framework from the computer
  3. Remove .AppleSetupDone from /var/db/ so the computer re-runs Setup Assistant

You might need to manually remove any profiles.. number 3 is the most important, DEP check-in only occurs during Setup Assistant with a network connection.

Look
Valued Contributor III

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Internet restore from Apple, will wipe it back to out of the box.
Bandwidth intensive though.
But yeah any wiping of the drive and reimaging will do it.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Kyuubi if you have other machines like your test system that you haven't done anything to, why not just put your test computer and another fresh computer in target disk mode and use disk copy on a third computer to clone the fresh system's hard drive to your test machine.

Kyuubi
Contributor

Thanks to all you guys. Appreciate the feedback.