Department and Building removed

cindybrock
New Contributor

We have apps assigned to students by department and building location. Yesterday and today, we have had two random students have their department and building removed and apps disappeared from their ipads because they were no longer a part of the building or department. This is in the middle of exam time when they need all their stuff to work correctly. What could cause that to happen? No one on our tech team has removed them from anything.

4 REPLIES 4

cindybrock
New Contributor

More info: The building and department automatically have a coding profile scoped to them, so when they’re not assigned there is also no config profile.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I had this in February 2021. Didn't happen to many users but we have a similar setup in that as soon as the department field is lost, the user loses all their apps and settings. It didn't effect many users but was enough for me to open a support case. Once I got passed first line and kept pushing for them to look into it they eventually came round and said it's a known issue and applied a workaround (we're cloud based so their cloud team had to do this). They didn't tell me what the work around was (might not have been anything!)  but it required a tomcat restart. To be fair, I don't think we've had the issue since.

derek_ritchison
Contributor

This happens to me every single time a laptop "checks in" or does an inventory update. The building --- which I sync via a script that integrates into other systems --- is always removed and set to blank. Other information, such as title or department, are left alone. It's just a little thing but it is beyond frustrating and I cannot pinpoint why this happens.

MarkPinfold
New Contributor II

If anyone here is as silly as I was, my solution to this issue is over here:
(Hint, user derp: Cloud Entity ID provider remapping unused/blank fields from that enviro where theyre not used to the Jamf enviro where they are. Every time the device checks in; *Pop* goes the field intel)

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/departments-getting-removed-from-mobile-devices/m-p/306626#M2...