Deploy apps without Apple ID

Treynman
New Contributor

We just started working with Jamf Pro so excuse my ignorance. I am doing some internal testing of deployment that will be eventually used for a client. They would like the unit locked down with only a hand full of apps being on the iPad. One of those apps are Facebook. I am trying to push the app to the ipad, but it is requiring an apple id login. Is there a way to push the volume purchased apps from ABM to a managed ipad without using the apple id?

4 REPLIES 4

Treynman
New Contributor

I may have figured it out, currently working on figuring out the self serve option, but I have managed to push the app to the device without an apple id.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Mobile applications can be assigned to a device or to a Managed Apple ID (MAID).
A benefit of assigning to a MAID is, if a user has 5 devices such as 5 iPads the app license counts as 1.

When deploying an app you can have it published in Self Service for the user to install, or install automatically.
Devices/Mobile Devices Apps/App name/General
Distribution Method:
- Install Automatically/Prompt Users to Install
- Make Available in Self Service

(optional Display app in Self Service after it is installed) if lets say you want to give them the ability to re-install.

Don't forget to go to the Managed Distribution tab and select the Assign Content Purchased in Volume.

Nick1403
New Contributor III

Hi @Treynman,

if the "Free" Checkbox is checked, you will need an AppleID. If you disable this, you will no longer be asked for an AppleID during installation. It doesn't matter whether the app cost something or not.

3da769ae3cf540f99bc8843f0d086882

dywane
New Contributor II

Apple's Business manager would be the way to go.. Apple Business manager would allow you deploy managed apps to your devices and would not require interaction from the user to install. Jamf is a 100% compatible with Apple Business manager and location based token, and Apple Business is totally free.