Deploy Google Drive for Desktop v49 app

hphan
New Contributor III

Have anyone successfully deploy the Google Drive for Desktop app (V49) to macOS Big Sur through JAMF? I deploy the PKG package within the DMG installer from Google. The app installs successfully but fails to launch. We receive "Something went wrong and Drive for desktop couldn't launch. Try restarting the app." We did and receive the same error. We submit a ticket with Google but want to check with the community if anyone else runs into the issue and has the answer.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

emclean
New Contributor II

I have gotten that as well. 

hphan
New Contributor III

We spent a lot more time on this issue but still have not arrived at a solution. Here are our findings so far. We wonder whether the repackaged Google Drive for Desktop app or the kernel extension approval or the combo is the cause so we tested multiple scenarios.

Scenario 1: install using the Google Drive installer directly from Google and manually approve the kernel under Security & Privacy. No problem. The thing works. 
Scenario 2: install the repackaged Google Drive app and manually approve the kernel under Security & Privacy. This works as well.
From these 2 scenarios, at least we know the repackaged Google Drive app is not the cause.
Scenario 3. install the Google Drive installer directly from Google and install the kernel extension approval automatically from JAMF. Even though the system receives the kernel extension approval from JAMF, we still need to approve the kernel change from Google in System Preferences. This indicates that our kernel extension approval may not include all the info or is incorrect.
Scenario 4. Install the repackaged Google Drive app and install the kernel extension approval automatically from JAMF. Same thing as scenario #3. The user has to approve the system kernel and restart. 

The Team ID is EQHXZ8M8AV
The Bundle ID is com.google.drivefs.filesystems.dfsfuse 
We don't see any entries for Google Drive for Desktop so hopefully, anyone with a different Team ID and/or Bundle ID can add to the doc (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IWrbE8xiau4rU2mtXYji9vSPWDqb56luh0OhD5XS0AM/edit#gid=1072394...)

a_hebert
New Contributor III

I got one to work with an intel computer with 10.15 on it with a kext. Never got anything about allowing and never had to go security and privacy to do anything. When i made this profile. Also this is the PPPC for it Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.38.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-08 at 3.22.50 PM.png

macOS 11, Big Sur, treats kexts very differently and kexts approval profiles also work differently.

I am not all that sure exactly how they work differently but with macOS 11 Apple really started restricting kexts and what they could do.  I am testing with version 50 and I am seeing the same results.

However, if I do this on a M1 device Google Drive works just fine without the kext approval profile and I don't get the popup.  Why can Google so this without a kext on an M1 device but not an Intel device?